free hit
counters
anyone tried vw passat/audi a6 calipers on the rear of their pre 85 cars? - Page 4 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

anyone tried vw passat/audi a6 calipers on the rear of their pre 85 cars?

I read this post several times a while back, thought about it and decided to have a go, because my handbrake has always been a bit naff.

In case it did'nt work, I've initially bought just a nearside Audi A6 caliper (brand new & only £20 on eBay) which I've found you need to fit on the offside in order place the bleed nipple uppermost. There's a bit of a knack to getting the calliper in place because there isn't much space - the rear chassis loop that runs under the gearbox gets in the way. This loop also runs very close to the bleed nipple, so bleeding the rear brakes may be easier said than done.

Anyway I got the calliper in and then fiddled a new set of A6 brake pads into place and bolted it up, no problem and it slides without fouling the carrier.

The bracket on the calliper that retains the handbrake cable outer ferrule needs to opened up a little so that it will slide in. Once this has been done, the cable fits and works as normal. I opened it up with a conical grind stone in a drill.

Routing the nearside handbrake cable is up the side of the engine bay, past the coolant header tank and the down to the caliper. No problem.

Last job is the brake line. This is a different fitting at the calliper end - it needs a banjo. I'll call PNM tomorrow to see if they'll sell me a set.

Bob

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I helped @peteyg install the calipers onto my S2.  Bolting into place was easy, they go straight into the existing sliding pins. Handbrake cables - these go into the top of the caliper rath

Final update. We have brakes!!!! Neil came round yesterday and we fitted the new calipers. I've attached photos of where a tiny modification was required to stop the calipers fouling the mounting

I'm shortly going to be fitting these to @Nelly Neil's S2 so I'll let you know how it goes. If I forget, remind me. I'm told PNM's advice is to shorten the handbrake cables though not sure quite how s

Posted Images

Hi Giorgio.

No, I haven't had to buy new hoses because my rear hoses are stainless braided items with reusable banjos.

I have therefore simply bought some replacement banjos (eBay) and fitted them to the existing hoses.

Things to note are,

1) The Audi calipers take an M12 x 1.00 thread banjo bolt.

2) You therefore need to buy a couple of M12 banjo's. Best to buy items that come with the compression fitting and olive as this saves buying parts piecemeal.

3) The Audi calipers are a direct replacement for the original Girling units - no modification necessary. Note though that the left hand Audi caliper is fitted to the Esprit's right hand side and vice versa.

4) The right side handbrake cable runs up the side of the engine bay and then and then down past the cooling system's expansion tank, to the caliper.

5) The left hand side handbrake cable run up over the top of the bell housing and then down to the calliper. It runs a bit close to the exhaust and so it's best to wrap it with some heat resistant sheathing.

The calipers cost - £45; brand new units from eBay.

Brake pads - £20.

Brake hose banjos and banjo bolts - £50.

Total cost £115 which is about a 1/3rd of the cost of PMN's "kit".

I think that covers everything save to saw that the handbrake operation is far better than Girling units.

Bob

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 82s3 said:

Hi Giorgio.

No, I haven't had to buy new hoses because my rear hoses are stainless braided items with reusable banjos.

I have therefore simply bought some replacement banjos (eBay) and fitted them to the existing hoses.

Things to note are,

1) The Audi calipers take an M12 x 1.00 thread banjo bolt.

2) You therefore need to buy a couple of M12 banjo's. Best to buy items that come with the compression fitting and olive as this saves buying parts piecemeal.

3) The Audi calipers are a direct replacement for the original Girling units - no modification necessary. Note though that the left hand Audi caliper is fitted to the Esprit's right hand side and vice versa.

4) The right side handbrake cable runs up the side of the engine bay and then and then down past the cooling system's expansion tank, to the caliper.

5) The left hand side handbrake cable run up over the top of the bell housing and then down to the calliper. It runs a bit close to the exhaust and so it's best to wrap it with some heat resistant sheathing.

The calipers cost - £45; brand new units from eBay.

Brake pads - £20.

Brake hose banjos and banjo bolts - £50.

Total cost £115 which is about a 1/3rd of the cost of PMN's "kit".

I think that covers everything save to saw that the handbrake operation is far better than Girling units.

Bob

Can I ask which Audi/VW model do the calipers come from?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/01/2020 at 18:08, 82s3 said:

This loop also runs very close to the bleed nipple, so bleeding the rear brakes may be easier said than done.

I have no idea if this suggestion might help-but perhaps you could bleed the calipers before they are bolted in to place- that might be simpler?

• 3 weeks later...

What we need is a part equivalent caliper from a car with electric handbrake, if ever available.

I have been looking at the system in my Renault. All of the handbrake, cables, linkages etc are thrown in the bin and the brake is operated by a small 12v motor on the back of each caliper which winds a screw in or out to push the inner pad forwards or not. Dead simple. No adjustment, no seizing.

In normal cars they have an electronic controller which probably monitors current and turns off the motor when it reached a torque limit but I am sure it could work just as well with a pushbutton for each direction.

Quite in agreement with Andy, I hope to equip my S2 with electric parking brake ( EPB ). These things are becoming ubiquitous and do function well, as I found when running about France and Belgium in a hired Renault back in '14. These are fine times for those who wish to update mechanisms, with clever widgets of all sizes now easily obtained. The American firm Wilwood has already presented EPB calipers and several kits for their use, while PNM did appear to be moving on an Esprit fitment. I believe there are aftermarket and OEM calipers with EPB function now showing up on EBay.  No question the OEM operating lever placement is infernal on Esprit. 

On 24/03/2020 at 19:54, 82s3 said:

How about just keeping things simple with traditional handbrake cables. Less to wrong!

Bob

My point is that the electric systems are simpler. Apart from the linkages and cables which can seize up, the ratchet mechanism in the calipers is prone to fail and wont work at all unless the cables are free and adjusted for the correct amount of play. The appeal of the electric system for car manufacturers is clear, far easier to build and no adjustment needed. Even backing off the system to retract the pads for replacement is easier.

• Like 1