free hit
counters
Metallic sound coming from passenger seat - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Metallic sound coming from passenger seat

Hi all, 

I have an odd, but annoying sounds from the Evora, tricky to explain..  it sounds as if it’s coming from the passenger seat somewhere. When cornering one you can here something metallic roll across and clink to a stop, when cornering the other way, it rolls to the other side,

B&C have had the seat out, and found a pen underneath, it wasn’t that though, just wondering what els it could be, or where els something could be moving around by the seat. 

James 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

If it is rolling it has to be on a flat hard surface. I assume the glove box has been checked? Could try under the gear stick surround or under the fuse box cover (passenger footwell). Hopefully nothing has found its way inside the chassis. 

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

How easy is to take the seats out? Have you tried driving round without the passenger seat? And then swapping passenger for drivers seat? 

Does the bottom of the chassis have an under tray in the mid section or is it just the bare tub? If there is an undertray maybe something is rattling between the tub and undertray? 

3 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

Does the bottom of the chassis have an under tray in the mid section or is it just the bare tub? If there is an undertray maybe something is rattling between the tub and undertray? 

The undertrays effectively run the full length of the car (to give it an aerodynamically sound 'flat bottom'). There are 3 sections ISTR, front, middle and rear.

So, yes, something could feasibly be rattling around between undertray and tub. 

1 hour ago, electro_boy said:

How easy is to take the seats out? Have you tried driving round without the passenger seat? And then swapping passenger for drivers seat? 

Just been to check in the fuse box, doesn’t seem to be there :( I did wonder about the seats, I’ve just tried moving the passenger seat forward and back very fast on the rollers, I can here the metallic noise from inside base of the seat! Bell and Colvill did have the passenger seat out, but there was nothing undeath. It seems to be coming from inside tye seat it’s self. 

yes just remove the seat and see if the noise persists. Otherwise I would be tempted to say it is something rattling on the undertray.

Finally sorted it! Popped to Halfords to get some Allen keys, took the seat out, when it was out, just tilting the seat I could hear the object moving from one side to another. Here is the culprit! a little washer. 

Undoing one of the Allen bolts holding the base to the seat, and it popped out of the attached image! It must have come off the left bolt... 

On taking  it for a drive after, no more noise :) 

A768E0B3-2B4C-4E73-9CEA-EE6168576A94.jpeg

9CD9F041-60F5-4852-8990-5F571D21DC50.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Gold FFM
22 minutes ago, cweeden said:

Shame it wasn't discovered when the pros had the seat out. 😶

Just what I was thinking, it's hardly a glowing endorsement.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.