free hit
counters
MOTOGP 101 required!! - Bike Banter - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
slewthy

MOTOGP 101 required!!

HI chaps,

Hoping for some helpful help here please!

I have been given a ticket to the MOTOGP Silverstone next bank holiday weekend - Friday-Sat. Going with 3 bike racing nuts.

Unfortunately, although I'm expecting a great weekend of camping, beer and some racing, I know NOTHING about bikes at this MOTO thing.

There will be a wager on the eventual winner of the weekend too, so some money is at stake.

Can anyone either direct me to a good round up and idiots guide to this, or perhaps explain in terms a 7 year old might understand please?

I just dont want to appear a complete numpty and think some knowledge might make the weekend more entertaining/enjoyable.

Cheers in advance

Si

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Bikes have two wheels. The guys wearing the helmets race them. The winner is the guy who crosses the line first.

If they pull over in the pits or anywhere else during the race, the bike is generally broken. 

Glad to help. :) 

• Haha 2

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Thanks Ramjet.

I refer the honorable gentleman to line 2 of my request that I made some moments ago.......

• Haha 2

Very fast bikes which crash in spectacular fashion. 

Valentino Rossi is the most famous modern motorcycle racer and there will be lots of people wearing yellow shirts with 46 on them (his colour and number).

Cal Crutchlow is the best Bristish rider at the moemnt and he has a chance to be up there racing for a win.

Mark Marquez is leading this years championship and looks a certainty to take the title. He would be a good bet. 

If it rains, all bets are off as there are a few really good wet weather riders who wouldn't normally get on the podium. :) 

• Like 2

It's getting there......

My cousin is the technical director for Moto GP,  GP bikes are the equivalent of F1 cars they are one offs built for racing, super bikes are based on road bikes.  They are horrendously fast. 

Havea read of this if you want to show off.

https://www.crash.net/motogp/interview/888796/1/exclusive-danny-aldridge-technical-director-interview

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Tim covered some of the main personalities.  Bike wise...

Marquez is on a factory Honda - proving hard to ride this year but he's awesome anyway.  Cal is on a not quite so factory Honda/privateer but nearly as fast.

Rossi - has been with Yamaha for some years and its relatively slower this year for some reason - known as the Doctor but also often referred to as the GOAT (greatest of all time) at the age of 39

The other main contender is Ducati - ridden by Lorenzo or (my fav) Dovizioso - is the fastest bike in a straight line, but even more of a handful to ride around the corners

There's a number of newer* bikes, riders and teams around who occasionally cause upsets, but not consistently.  The bikes on the second half of the grid have next to no chance and effectively race in a different series with different engine rules etc.

*newer being an odd choice as the key adjective to use for many (eg Suzuki, Aprilia, KTM, etc) who have clearly been around for decades.

• Like 2

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Thanks guys

So, it seems that the field is dominated by Spaniards and Italians. Is there a good reason why there has been no UK GP champion for 40 years? Seems odd.

In F1, top pole position winners also tend to win championships. Same in MOTOGP?

Is Silverstone known as a circuit suited for certain bikes or riders, assuming dry?

7 hours ago, slewthy said:

So, it seems that the field is dominated by Spaniards and Italians. Is there a good reason why there has been no UK GP champion for 40 years? Seems odd.

Probably as many opinions on that as people you ask.  Yes dominated by Spanish and Italians.  The Spanish in particular nurture their youngsters through domestic series into the feeder classes of Moto3 and Moto2.  Young Brits tend to get more involved in British series which are more road bike inspired and lead on to British and then World Superbikes - where we do very well.  But not many of any nationality have made any kind of real success in moving from Superbike to MotoGP.  I'm not sure why.  (Indeed not many do that well going from MotoGP to WSB unless they were good there first).

In F1, top pole position winners also tend to win championships. Same in MOTOGP?

Not as close a link as in F1.  In F1 its the fastest car that generally gets Pole.  In MotoGP the rider is a much more significant component.  There have been some amazing proponents over one lap but they haven't got the consistency for a whole race and usually cant cope as the tyres go off or whatever.  Rossi has the most Championships but typically underperforms on Saturday and saves his best for Sunday - often off the second row or further back. 

Is Silverstone known as a circuit suited for certain bikes or riders, assuming dry?

No...its diverse enough that most teams have strong bits and weaker bits around the track.  Last year Dovi won on his Ducati.  Year before was Vignales on a Suzuki - (one of that years "shock" wins).   But if you look back over the last 20 years probably a fairly even split between Honda, Ducati and Yamaha , and it will probably be one of them again this year.

• Thanks 1

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny

Avoid technical talk too much if you have little knowledge. Just let them know how much you admire the races and closeness especially compared to F1. Watch this, one of the best races ever...

• Thanks 1

DanR

Brilliant stuff!

I feel much more informed and cant wait for the weekend.

HOWEVER, its heavy rain forcast for the main Sunday race.

So, it should be "all bets are off" but it wont be.

Any riders particularly good in the wet that could triumph?

Looks like race may not take place

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Moto GP was cancelled

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

So now you didn't have to bluff your way through it AND can get some money back for the ticket price! (which you got given) Winner!

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Well.What can I say?

Firstly, thanks to everyone who gave input - certainly helped me over the weekend.

It was very cold and wet. Camping only made tolerable by beer etc! Good facilities though.

Practice and qualifying was still fun as we could use any grandstand that was open so got a great look at the whole track too. 

I think that Rabat's injuries on saturday crystallised everyone's mind about the conditions. Although they brought the race forwards to 11.30, they could have run at 10.30 quite well and missed the worst of the rain. We left at 12.30 as it was completely obvious that no racing would be happening. Infuriating then that it took until 4pm to make the decision. I guess it was the insurers making those choices?!