free hit
counters
What Plastic? - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hello all,

Just getting further into the work on interior restoration and see that repair to the aqua coloured plastic panel trimmed to finish the area behind the seats (firewall bulkhead). Does anyone know which species of plastic Lotus used for all those blow-moulded bits around the interior?

Cheers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am hoping to produce as many obsolete vac-formed Lotus parts in the future. I have a machine, but it's in bits, so not operational at the moment. It's going to get setup in my new carport, which I a

Front light surrounds for S4/V8/S4s using standard size lights 👍

This is some of my vac forming at a company I used to work for. I made the moulds and was having issues with webbing. My machine is not this one, but was a made machine, but could produce as good as r

Posted Images

Vacuum formed parts. Very cheap to produce and thin. Extremely lightweight and flimsy in your hands but they do serve the purpose and look fine in situ.

@OwenGT3 has experiance with vacuum forming.

buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Right chaps, agree with your views however I think some bit of repair work could be in order for that largest panel as it's got a vertical crack running into the lamp opening from below. In handling just to offer it up as a display for the upholsterer it folds in just a bit where weakened by the crack. Not a big deal to fix somehow I'm sure and I had viewed interesting comments on TLF posted by Geert regarding use of soldering iron to effect a weld. Wonder if he's looking on to this thread? As to which plastic, that was the question intended to ascertain which glue might be employed if that will be needed.

Cheers

On 18/08/2018 at 18:17, drdoom said:

Right chaps, agree with your views however I think some bit of repair work could be in order for that largest panel as it's got a vertical crack running into the lamp opening from below. In handling just to offer it up as a display for the upholsterer it folds in just a bit where weakened by the crack. Not a big deal to fix somehow I'm sure and I had viewed interesting comments on TLF posted by Geert regarding use of soldering iron to effect a weld. Wonder if he's looking on to this thread? As to which plastic, that was the question intended to ascertain which glue might be employed if that will be needed.

Cheers

Hi Steve,

The big plastic panel behind the seats covering the bulkhead and going around the windowarea was pretty cracked in my esprit. Now it is from the factory covered with glued on leather ( or leatherette), but if the plastic is cracked in some places it looses its strenght and is difficult to mount in a decent way.

So when restoring my interior I used a soldering iron to fix all cracks in the plastic. ( also small cracks ) It is not a pretty fix , but it does the job regarding strenght, and since this is the back of the panel, you dont see the fix at all. I even got to the point that on some place around the vents, there was a small piece missing. I cut the missing part out of a plastic box laying around and soldered it in.

Another thing is that you can reenforce plastic parts bij melting in small metal wires or even some small piece of metal grit in the plastic.

Now I just looked for a video that explains what I did and this one does : look from minute 7.

Geert

Edited by gvy
  • Like 1

dash covers for Turbo Esprit. They crack in the corners. I'd happilt take the two end ones and I have a brand new centre one you could borrow for a mould.

Also the doors have small closing panels front and rear which are unobtainable now.

:) 

• Like 1

It's getting there......

This is some of my vac forming at a company I used to work for. I made the moulds and was having issues with webbing. My machine is not this one, but was a made machine, but could produce as good as result as this professional machine, albeit for a lot less than the £12000 this one cost!

Once I've got it sorted, people will know as I will be requesting parts to make the moulds.

• Like 2