free hit
counters
Evora N/A vs Evora 410/430 - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
pete757

Evora N/A vs Evora 410/430

44 minutes ago, bosshog said:

The only thing I didn't really like was the gearing as it made the car feel a bit slow/long winded though I'm sure if I was following a 410 there wouldn't be much in it.

For sure, you would be following the 410 :driving::devil:

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 22/08/2018 at 12:11, london_v said:

BMW M2 - I don't know what all the fuss is about. I was properly underwhelmed ... maybe because I had such high expectations. I guess it's nice for those who want a comfortable sporty car

Interesting. I guess it is all very personal and also dependant on the conditions in which you tested the car, but I would say that the M2 is a very fun and playful car, with the right size for back-roads. It is indeed very different to an Evora in that it is less delicate and more brutal with all that torque but it can be as playful and very good fun, too.

Horses for courses, obviously, though, and the Evora still has the edge as a dedicated sports car. IMHO.

2 hours ago, Arregueti said:

Interesting. I guess it is all very personal and also dependant on the conditions in which you tested the car, but I would say that the M2 is a very fun and playful car, with the right size for back-roads. It is indeed very different to an Evora in that it is less delicate and more brutal with all that torque but it can be as playful and very good fun, too.

Horses for courses, obviously, though, and the Evora still has the edge as a dedicated sports car. IMHO.

Agreed!

Took one out a few months ago... floored it in 2nd... and asked, 'is that all'!

Sure, it makes a nice noise, very smooth engine, typical German build quality. But when the drive was over, I went home into my 118d and was not disappointed! 

Pal of mine just got a 1M which I'm keen to have a go in. 

Tall gearing is an unfortunate thing on most modern manuals. I'd certainly rather trade 20mph off the top for better gearing down low in the 410. I'm keen to explore options there at some point as I really think the 460 upgrade combined with the komotec lower final drive would create an utter weapon of a car. I'd like to find someone who's done the gearbox but haven't yet. 

On 23/08/2018 at 13:53, Glasgow said:

What a lovely looking car. Has she just been polished? What detailing coat  on it? Wax/ceramic?

Thank you @Glasgow. She lives in Perthshire so often gets washed b y the rain lol!

She was Gtechniq coated when bought in April, other than that, she just gets washed. No polish applied, just a good foam wash and power jet wash down.

That pciture was taken first Sunday in August after the LEGS run - around 200 miles around the Cairngorm national park and local roads around Angus. I'd stopped at Broughty Ferry for a nice Italian Ice Cream and a seat at the waterfront on a sunny afternoon on the way home from the run.  Life was pretty perfect that day...

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

12 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Thank you @Glasgow. She lives in Perthshire so often gets washed b y the rain lol!

She was Gtechniq coated when bought in April, other than that, she just gets washed. No polish applied, just a good foam wash and power jet wash down.

That pciture was taken first Sunday in August after the LEGS run - around 200 miles around the Cairngorm national park and local roads around Angus. I'd stopped at Broughty Ferry for a nice Italian Ice Cream and a seat at the waterfront on a sunny afternoon on the way home from the run.  Life was pretty perfect that day...

I always considered Gtechniq. I think it gives great result but it is not always easy to get it right (even if professionally applied).

love the Italian Ice Cream🍦🍨

• Like 1

If you are over this way then go here in Broughty Ferry. It's the East Coast equivalent to Nardini's lol....

image.jpeg.6d3e2c50e36577838b8121fd4c5a94b6.jpeg

I thought the ceramic coating would stop swirls and light scratching but to be honest I am not that impressed and will be completing PPF over the whole car (had the full front clam done already).  The GTechniq was applied through a package from the supplying dealer so I have no idea how well the contractor did it.

7 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I thought the ceramic coating would stop swirls and light scratching but to be honest I am not that impressed and will be completing PPF over the whole car (had the full front clam done already).  The GTechniq was applied through a package from the supplying dealer so I have no idea how well the contractor did it.

I had the same thoughts. It’s great on silver etc, but on dark colours it isn’t as good as a proper wax at stopping swirl marks. Our cars are actually now Gtechniq coated, but I wax over the top with Harley wax. Much better at resisting swirl marks. 

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Personally I think ceramic coating is a marketing con. Lacquer is hard enough already and a few micrometers will make no meaningful difference.. Wax is all you need.

For a hilarious explanation, check out this guy:

Straight-talking Aussie.

I had Gtechniq applied to my Exige and am impressed with it as it makes cleaning the car so much easier. Despite my best efforts I still get swirls which is really annoying. Probably the biggest difference and majority of the cost of the process was getting the car machine polished as the paint from the factory was really poor. 

Having ceramic  coating on the wheels and windows is really evident means dirt doesn’t stick.

Waxing after the polish would give the same results. 

2 hours ago, EGTE said:

Personally I think ceramic coating is a marketing con. Lacquer is hard enough already and a few micrometers will make no meaningful difference.. Wax is all you need.

Personal experience from many happy users is contrary to what you think. 

Ceramic coating essentially does the same job as a wax but is much, much longer lasting. Rather than having to be reapplied several times a year, a single application of ceramic coating can last several years. I know which one makes more sense to me. 

3 years now since mine was done and it is still easy to clean and water just runs off it. 

Can see a few faint marks when in certain light conditions but, given that I’ve not touched it in 3 years other than washing, I’m happy with the result:thumbup:

As for “straight talking Aussie” guy, he’s just a wannabe actor who uses YouTube to spout opinions to get people talking :lol::lol::lol:. I saw 2 of his other videos ages ago to know not to waste any more time listening to him again

Not saying it doesn't work, Gents.  However it is hideously overpriced for what it is and waxing takes about 10 minutes....

If it only takes you 10 minutes to wax your entire car, you’re not doing it right!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Personal experience from many happy users is contrary to what you think. 

Ceramic coating essentially does the same job as a wax but is much, much longer lasting. Rather than having to be reapplied several times a year, a single application of ceramic coating can last several years. I know which one makes more sense to me. 

It is great for keeping beading for a long time and for general protection, but in my experience it doesn’t provide the same protection against swirl marks as a good carnuba wax. On light coloured paints it’s fine, but the darker the colour the more you need a better protection against swirl marks. 

On my silver Merc, I’d not use anything else, but on the black roof of my wife’s Mini, it just doesn’t do the job.

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

But are the swirl marks not just going into the ceramic coating so will go when you renew it? It's got to be better than swirls in the clearcoat?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

9 hours ago, Bibs said:

But are the swirl marks not just going into the ceramic coating so will go when you renew it? It's got to be better than swirls in the clearcoat?

Good point and personally no idea but if that is the case then the coat would be a good thing would it not?

8 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Good point and personally no idea but if that is the case then the coat would be a good thing would it not?

And then a coat of something to protect against swirl marks in the gtecnic, and then another coat of something to protect against , ad infinitum. I have a ready supply of virgin snake oil if anyone wants it. Only 100 of your finest english pounds per pint. Also finest wool muffs shorn only from the softest of vicuna by hand maidens versed in the art since birth. 

But that's the point of all protectants, either waxes or ceramic coatings. It's a sacrificial layer to protect the paintwork that can be renewed/reworked to maintain the gloss. It's a lot easier to rewax/recoat a swirled car that reapply clearcoat. 

The added benefit is that the finish is so smooth it makes the car easier to maintain in the meantime. The reason water beads and dirt comes off so easily is that there are fewer imperfections for it to grip to. They are slightly hydrophobic too but it's the finish which is the main reason for his effect. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

:lol:

Ya filthy animal! :D

• Haha 1

Evora NA

16 hours ago, Bibs said:

That’s what I think, my understanding of a ceramic coating is that you’re basically putting a very fine layer of ‘glass’ in the car, so sure they’ll be suspceptabke to swirl marks, but it’s the coating that’s geting the swirl not the paintwork underneath.

Thankfully I have a silver car 😁 not out one on yet but will be doing soon!

one thing to bear in mind is the curing time on a ceramic, you don’t want it getting wet really for at least a week!

10 hours ago, Bruss said:

I find it best not to polish it. No swirls marks! :P

Oi ! My imagined future offer just dropped a bit 😜

• Sad 1