free hit
counters
New to the forum - Introductions - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mpjg

New to the forum

Hi everyone,

Thought i would introduce myself. I am marc and i am currently going through the pain staking process of restoring an 1988 esprit for my old man. 

Hopefully back on the road in the next couple of months. 

Cheers

Marc

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome Marc and thanks for upgrading, good man :thumbup:

We'll need pics of the car please, and also you might want to start a thread in our Esprit Project & Restoration section :)

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Welcome aboard Marc 👍

• Like 1

Welcome Marc.

We do need more pictures.

Whereabouts are you located?

Chris

Hi chris,

I will need to get pictures up soon. I am currently in livingston, scotland :)

Plenty of other members in that neck of the woods, you should try to get along to some meetings.

Welcome Mark...

And top work getting another lotus back on the road

Can't wait to Se the pics

Lol

Cheers

G

• Like 1

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Hi Marc,

You have found, hands down, the best car forum on the net.

Good for you being a full forum member already. 

In my years on here, I have found the folk very responsive - after a question, you usually get an answer within the hour and several 'useful' answers by next morning! When you are doing the work you are, this is exactly what you need. It will save you hours and £££££s!!

How much work do you intend and tell us the story of doing it for your old man? I am doing something possibly similar with an old NSU scooter....

"Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." Albert Einstein

Hi,

The original plan for the esprit was to put it off the road one winter and fix a few niggles and under seal the chassis, 4 years later we had not got round to it yet and then the radiator decided it did not want to hold onto coolant anymore. 

From that point it quickly went down hill, getting the radiator out resulted in the oil cooler connections snapping off due to being seized, then the cowling wouldnt come off the radiator frame without a fight and we found out two of the three fans were siezed. 

Then onto the front suspension, the front spring was broken so needed changed. That opened up a whole new world of mechanical pain, bottom ball joints self destructed getting the hub off so the lower wishbone had to come out which led to cutting out bolts that were siezed into the bushing. 

Soo all in 90% of the mechanical side of the car has been stripped and rebuilt. 

Mostly there now apart from the rear calipers that i need refurbished but the company i went through is having supplier issues.

20180823_172512.jpg

Welcome to TLF Marc. :welcome:

Well look at this way, if you do a decent job restoring it, you might get to enjoy it as well with him.

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :) 

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Welcome, and good luck finishing the restoration! Looks like the hardest part is already done, soon you'll be enjoying the Esprit with your dad. 😎

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.