free hit
counters
Hard top re-installation - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hello all, 

Just reattached my hard top yesterday - and the car now has terrible squaks and rattles emanating just behind my head. The hard top is secured correctly - just cant understand why it is now rattling now. 

Anyone have any tips and tricks or anything obvious I've done wrong?

Luckily have a 2bular arriving soon which will no doubt knacker my hearing and solve the problem another way

Cheers!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Squeaks are normal... TADTS :lol:

Some lightly applied silicone grease will help. It may be that the seals have dried since removing.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

23 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

Squeaks are normal... TADTS :lol:

Some lightly applied silicone grease will help. It may be that the seals have dried since removing.

But mine didn't before I started p*ssing round with the hardtop!!! ;) I'm so annoyed as I loved the fact that my V6 didn't rattle like my old elise!

Thanks for the suggestion though I'll give it a go 

13 hours ago, Lo2zz said:

Just reattached my hard top yesterday - and the car now has terrible squaks and rattles emanating just behind my head.

Welcome to the Lotus Club!

My Cup 250 roof stopped making a noise when I tightened the bolts evenly rather than one at a time. A little shoogle between tightening appeared to seat it well. 

• Thanks 1

This is not uncommon - and often not resolved by lubrication of the seals.  Tightening the rear attachment bolts can aleivate the problem, but often fails to provide a long term solution.  Beware of seal lubrication; some lubricants will damage seals.

The potential source of rattling/squeeking is the black rear latch bracket (attached to the roll hoop cover) rubbing on the inside of the fitted hard-top roof panel.  If you look carefully, you may see evidence of rubbing on the contact point of the bracket and the inside of the demounted roof panel.

The fix is to apply a small patch of synthetic felt over the rub-point on the inside of the roof panel.  Once the roof is fitted, the patch cannot be seen.  Do this on the correspnding rub-point on both sides of the car - even though you may only have a problem with rubbing on one side of the car.  Subsequent disturbance/fitting of the roof may change the alignment and cause the problem to switch sides.

A 2005 service bulletin described a similar issue for earlier Elise and Exige variants.  The roof design and attachment hasn’t significantly changed.  Lotus’ fix, at the time, was to drill and fix a small rubber-buffer to the rear latch bracket.  The better fix, now, is to fit the felf patch to the inside of the roof panel.

Edited by LotusPilot
  • Like 1

Wow what a fantastic response! Thank you so much makes a lot of sense. Will have a look at getting the hard top off this weekend after Monza and have a look and let you know how I get on. 

When I was pressing area's behind me it did seem as though it was the black rear latch area that was problematic 

Thanks again!

My pleasure to help.  It took me a looong time to isolate the cause.

The contact point is almost certainly the outer curved edge of the latch bracket.  If it rubs on the roof panel, it’ll squeek - otherwise it’ll rattle as the roof naturally moves on the rubbers of the roll hoop cover.  Upward pressure on the inside of the roof will usually kill the noise whilst pressure is maintained.

Do let us know how you get on.

• Like 2

Your lucky, my hardtop has lost it's rubber strip at the rear - I found it on the floor next to it, doesn't want to stick back on 😞

On 29/08/2018 at 23:33, TonyKL said:

Your lucky, my hardtop has lost it's rubber strip at the rear - I found it on the floor next to it, doesn't want to stick back on 😞

this has happened with two different roofs of mine on two different cars. you'd think Lotus would have figured out a better way to stick the strip...

2 hours ago, mark248am said:

this has happened with two different roofs of mine on two different cars. you'd think Lotus would have figured out a better way to stick the strip...

What did you use to stick it back on?  I tried warming up the glue but failed 😞

51 minutes ago, TonyKL said:

A length of double sided tape is fine, just enough to fight gravity for a few mins. Then it’s squeezed in so all is fine.

i managed to finally get mine rattle free today, fabric tape over any hard point  under the roof, behind latch’s and then brackets. PFTE all the seals. After that it’s noise free, until tomorrow obviously

Edited by MrP_
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TonyKL said:

dealer did it for me, used double sided tape 

Double sided automotive trim tape should do it - Halfords or any decent motor factor should have a roll.

I found when refitting mine, that if I fitted it tight'ish, went for a few mils drive so it 'settled' in (depending on how it was stored there might be some very minor level of warping), then on return tighten it up fully. After that mines been squeak free. Always worth having a retighten after a reasonable amount of usage anyway.

Martin S

Will keep the rubber strip info in mind for possible future use though.

When I had my soft top fitted at b&c the mechanic told me to rub Vaseline on all the rubber seals before refitting the hard top

4 minutes ago, Ali tuck said:

When I had my soft top fitted at b&c the mechanic told me to rub Vaseline on all the rubber seals before refitting the hard top

Better to use proper dry teflon lube
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Finish-Line-Lubricant-17-Ounce-Aerosol/dp/B00U30TFAS

Try shimano dry lube, much easier to apply than the aerosols, also it’s my summer chain lube so always have a few about:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shimano-PTFE-Dry-Workshop-Lube/dp/B00BHUWNNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1536269375&sr=8-1&keywords=Dry+lube+shimano