free hit
counters
Diff for exige 350sport - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Diff for exige 350sport

Hi all,

I have a 2017 exige sport which is having a new clutch put in this week was thinking of putting a limited slip diff in at the same time,is this a good thing to do while work is being done?also which diff is best to buy?

Many thanks

Stewart

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you do a large amount of track work with the DPM system off, as I do, then yes I think it's a good idea. A few of us have the Quaife ATB diff, which isn't agressive in its action and is very much a 'fit and forget' item. Some (mostly on the continent) have a plated diff from Drexler. 

If you're mostly on the road, I wouldn't bother, unless you want to get some more controllable and willing tail out action at roundabouts etc.

Oh yes, it goes without saying, consider your warranty position, given the age of your car.  I'm guessing youre clutch isn't being changed for an uprated item but because it failed?

Edited by Arun_D

Hi Arun thanks for quick reply.i do use the car for road and track,im new to track days but i brought the car to drive fast on track, i have only had the car a few months and done 4 track days and had problem changing gears when driving fast.having the clutch changed under warranty this week and was just thinking as they r doing the clutch might as well put a diff in as well!

I will look at the quake tab diff thanks

I'm almost certainly going to get a diff . It's a very difficult decision though between plate diff and quaife. How progressive is your car when it slides on road? 

Do you find the quaife suffers over kerbs on track?

I know I will have to get the susp adjusted after installation to counter understeer - I'm just a little wary that I might hugely mess up the handling and have a car that to get the back end out, I have to lean on the front where there will be an exacerbated understeer problem - and the net result will be a bit 'see- saw', where as currently the car makes great progress, if a bit one dimensional (I.E not really feeling that the rear will step out)

I basically want a strong front end that I can pivot the car around! Is that something you feel is achievable with the quaife?

Hi Mike, for the majority of your queries, I think @GFWilliams is better qualified than I am, as he has much more experience in initiating oversteer on his Quaife equipped car on the road than I am.  His feedback is almost certainly that the Quaife is controllable and progressive.

Regarding kerbs, I tend not to monster them too much, but you'd have to really be tanking it to unload a wheel and lose drive. I didn't see it being enough of a problem to justify a Drexler, for me at least.

Edited by Arun_D

I'll do my best to address your points about the Quaiffe diff.

Progressiveness and use on the road:
 - The diff is lovely and progressive, it never feels like it's suddenly locking, but you will find there is huge amounts more grip out of junctions and tight corners.  You can induce power oversteer if it's wet conditions fairly easily, the real benefit is ending the slide or transitioning to a drift the other way though. With the open diff it can spit you the other way when you're trying to end a slide as the inside wheel (spinning faster) suddenly becomes the outside wheel.  If you're not totally off the throttle with the open diff when you try and end the slide there's a good chance you'll spin...  With the LSD it's super smooth and you can trail off the throttle smoothly which means smooth drifts.   You never get any clonks (for example on full lock) or anything like that which I know you do on other LSDs.

Understeer:
 - The diff does cause a little understeer in the exit phase of the corner when you get on the throttle.  I'm running 3 way Nitrons and have had no problem dialing this out with setup changes, in fact my car has a way better front end with the settings I've got than even the 430 Cups have (and they have an open diff).  The car is mid engined so will always have a mid engined weight distribution, so you have to drive it with this in mind, braking late into corners to get the weight on the front, but I'm super happy with how my car is.

Curbs:
 - I drive fairly hard on track, but I have no intention of hitting kurbs hard enough on track to feel a difference between diffs. 

• Like 1

On 27/08/2018 at 14:18, Stewart333 said:

i have only had the car a few months and done 4 track days and had problem changing gears when driving fast.having the clutch changed under warranty this week and was just thinking as they r doing the clutch might as well put a diff in as well!

Stewart, I assume that Lotus have identified an issue with the clutch.  Might be worth considering gearbox cooler if you are having issues with gear change on track, some people have found this to be a real help.

With regard to the diff, as the others have said, the ATB is fit and forget and works fine for 99% of drivers. Have got one in stock if you need one in a hurry.

Dave

4 hours ago, C7steve said:

Does the lsd make much difference between sport, race or off modes?

Steve

Doesn't really restrict in those modes, you'll only feel the difference with TC off.

4 hours ago, Mattmahope said:

I have decided to fit the Quaife too and the car will be going in to H111 in the not too distant future.

Big question is whether to fit the KT close ratio gears at the same time? Any thoughts welcome!

Better spending your money on power...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

- The diff is lovely and progressive, it never feels like it's suddenly locking, but you will find there is huge amounts more grip out of junctions and tight corners.  You can induce power oversteer if it's wet conditions fairly easily, the real benefit is ending the slide or transitioning to a drift the other way though. With the open diff it can spit you the other way when you're trying to end a slide as the inside wheel (spinning faster) suddenly becomes the outside wheel.  If you're not totally off the throttle with the open diff when you try and end the slide there's a good chance you'll spin...  With the LSD it's super smooth and you can trail off the throttle smoothly which means smooth drifts.   You never get any clonks (for example on full lock) or anything like that which I know you do on other LSDs.

Understeer:
 - The diff does cause a little understeer in the exit phase of the corner when you get on the throttle.  I'm running 3 way Nitrons and have had no problem dialing this out with setup changes, in fact my car has a way better front end with the settings I've got than even the 430 Cups have (and they have an open diff).  The car is mid engined so will always have a mid engined weight distribution, so you have to drive it with this in mind, braking late into corners to get the weight on the front, but I'm super happy with how my car is.

Curbs:
 - I drive fairly hard on track, but I have no intention of hitting kurbs hard enough on track to feel a difference between diffs. 

Thanks so much for the reply. Very comprehensively answers my questions so thank you for making the time to answer 

Seems like the quaife might be perfect for what I’m after 

You mentioned that That the car would oversteer in the wet - how about in the dry out of junctions?

Yes I know it’s not big, and I know it’s not clever but I still want to be able to do it!

Mike 

On 30/08/2018 at 10:33, GFWilliams said:

Understeer:

Curbs:

I like the LSD in My GT86 so am interested in one for my V6.

Can you still use the V6 DPM Sport and Race modes with the Quaiffe if you wanted to or do they not interact well? I suspect you don't use them given your talents and I'm partial to "off" too now but still good to know.

2 hours ago, PhilC1 said:

I like the LSD in My GT86 so am interested in one for my V6.

Can you still use the V6 DPM Sport and Race modes with the Quaiffe if you wanted to or do they not interact well? I suspect you don't use them given your talents and I'm partial to "off" too now but still good to know.

I still use sport and race when on the road, the LSD doesn't cause any problems and it feels the same as before tbh. You occasionally feel a tiny bit of the LSD helping, but never in a bad way.

On 31/08/2018 at 13:31, GFWilliams said:

I still use sport and race when on the road, the LSD doesn't cause any problems and it feels the same as before tbh. You occasionally feel a tiny bit of the LSD helping, but never in a bad way.

Thanks

On 31/08/2018 at 13:31, GFWilliams said:

Thanks

On 27/08/2018 at 14:18, Stewart333 said:

Hi Arun thanks for quick reply.i do use the car for road and track,im new to track days but i brought the car to drive fast on track, i have only had the car a few months and done 4 track days and had problem changing gears when driving fast.having the clutch changed under warranty this week and was just thinking as they r doing the clutch might as well put a diff in as well!

I will look at the quake tab diff thanks

This gear shift issue has the potential to ruin trackdays, and frankly I think it is the biggest weak point of the V6. Lotus should have dealt with it.

From what I’ve read it can be sorted either with uprated shift cables, or a gearbox oil cooler. The shift cables being the cheaper option.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has continued to have this issue despite getting the improved shift cables..... because this is something I’m seriously considering.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/09/2018 at 20:26, BfranklynV6 said:

This gear shift issue has the potential to ruin trackdays, and frankly I think it is the biggest weak point of the V6. Lotus should have dealt with it.

From what I’ve read it can be sorted either with uprated shift cables, or a gearbox oil cooler. The shift cables being the cheaper option.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has continued to have this issue despite getting the improved shift cables..... because this is something I’m seriously considering.

Not absolutely perfect with the SSC cables, but it’s very rare I have a problem compared to before where I couldn’t get into 3rd gear on track!

Change out the tranny fluid and then follow a regimen of changing it frequently......Motul Gear Oil FTW

• Like 2

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige V6 CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion