free hit
counters
Alternator pulley size - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tipo158

Alternator pulley size

I recently purchased a '78 S2. When the previous owner got it, it had a V8 in it, which he had to remove in exchange for getting the rest of the car for free. He then spent a stack of money finding and building a replacement 907 engine. Instead of getting an Esprit alternator, he got a "BMW" alternator. I suspect that it is something like a Bosch AL94X.

At idle, the Ignition light is on and I have to get the revs up to get it to turn off.

I suspect that the alternator pulley size is not small enough. What is the size of the alternator pulley on a stock Esprit alternator?

alan

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
On 29/08/2018 at 01:57, tipo158 said:

I suspect that the alternator pulley size is not small enough. What is the size of the alternator pulley on a stock Esprit alternator?

alan

Buy  Powermaster Performance 111 Overdrive Pulley V-Belt 3/8 in. x 2 3/8 in. OD

1 minute ago, MrDangerUS said:

Buy  Powermaster Performance 111 Overdrive Pulley V-Belt 3/8 in. x 2 3/8 in. OD

Funny you should write this. I am holding one in my hand as I write this. I also found a 2-1/8 OD pulley and that is what is on the car now.

The car sold on BaT today and I am giving the buyer the pulley and he can decide which one he wants to use. I did some calculations and I think that 2-1/8 should not result in the alternator spinning faster than its max rpm at the engine's max rpm.