free hit
counters
Rear hatch cable - can't open - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lukc

Rear hatch cable - can't open

Dear All

I finally got my Esprit S3 arrived home. My case is i can't open rear hatch. It seems that someone already tried to do it as the cable is out of the handle which is located on the left side where the doors locks with the rear fender I would say.

Already tried to pull the cable it self with a pliers but it wont move a bit.

Any idea guys how to get it open?

20180902_111933.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well, the solution is usually to remove the number plate and use a hole cutter to open a hand/wrist sized hole so you can get at the stuck parts. Then put number plate back on.

Sounds very destructive, Have yet to do this myself but I'm guessing you will get some input soon from someone who has actually done this. 

Welcome to the forum by the way!!!

And that is why I was lucky enough to prepare myself before this situation happened :

topic

Now in this case , you received the car like this so I think Simons suggestion is the only way to get it open.

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EMaintenance/HatchCable.html

Edited by gvy

Simon and Geert,

Thanks for the solution. Actually I was quite sure that this will be the reply but just wanted to make sure that there is an alternative way not to harm the Esprits body...

Unfortunately I will have to prepare myself to drill the hole now...

Geert Ive also red on lotusespritworld.com, non of described worked so I just decided to wirte here before I start to cut the body...

Anyways guys thanks a lot and surely we will hear soon as my adventure just started!

BTW can you recomend any online shop with spare parts that carries a Lotus parts?

In response to Geerts previous post i actually did the modification he suggested before it happens, I now have a small hole with a piece of string hanging through it behind the number plate!. My suggestion would be to start with a small hole so you can get a bent wire coat hangar through and up to pull the cable down. It is fairly easy to reach. I would imagine it wouldnt be too difficult or destructive before you think about a hole the size of your fist. Even then you'll have a hole hidden by the number plate and an extra vent for all those extra fuel smells!