free hit
counters
Evora N/A won’t start - help needed - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Evora N/A won’t start - help needed

Go to solution Solved by Ledlights,

Hi All,

I’m facing the first significant problem with my 2009 Evora N/A and I’d appreciate some help.

Yesterday, the car stalled a few times coming up to junctions. The car was warm but couldn’t recover when I put the clutch down whilst decelerating so I thought this was most likely caused by a dirty TB or possibly air filter.

Today, I cleaned the K&N filter and re-oiled it (it’s fitted with a radium CAI), cleaned the MAF sensor and the TB with intake cleaner. I also cleaned all the plug contacts for the sensors with contact cleaner.  When I took it for a test drive, the car had a rough idle and was jerky at low speed but would rev and accelerate okay.  On the test run, I had no DTCs.

When I got back, I checked the TB (it had a light film of oil on the butterfly from the K&N) and remade the plug connections to the MAF and the TB. Then the car threw a number of DTCs and wouldn’t start. I remade and recleaned the connections and cleared the codes but it still won’t start.  The codes are P2104, 2105, 0123, 0223.

My suspicion is that the TB or wiring to it has failed but has anyone got a better idea or has someone else had this same fault?

Any suggestions welcome...

Thanks,

Steve

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

P2104 is a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for "Throttle Actuator Control System Forced Idle". 

P2105 is a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) for "Throttle Actuator Control System - Forced Engine Shutdown"

P0123 Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit High Input

P0223 Throttle Position Sensor/Switch B Circuit High Input

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks for the replies. I read the link above before I cleaned the intake and followed it exactly.

I left the car overnight and cleared the codes this morning. The car will now start again but with an awful misfire. Another day, another set of codes...

P1302 is stored and 0301, 0302, 0303, 0304, 0305, 0306 and 0300 are all pending. So, misfires on all cylinders.

Could these be caused by the MAF?

Might be worth checking the relays in the back of the cabin are all seated correctly. 

How long has the Radium been fitted and has any other work been done to the car recently?

Opera Snapshot_2018-09-03_100139_deroure.com.png

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Thanks, I’ll check the relays.

Chris, the previous owner, fitted the Radium about 15k miles and 4 or so years ago so it shouldn’t be that.

The initial stalling made me think the intake needed a clean so I did the MAF and the K&N while I was at it.

I’ll clean the MAF again with contact cleaner and re-do the intake to get rid of the oil film and report back.

• Like 1

Reseat your throttle body connections and check nothing has come unintentionally loose as a result of the work you've done thus far.  Given that's the main thing you've changed here

Given the issue occurs across all cylinders once I would start looking at the electrical supply, so connections and condition of battery. My dad told me once that I should inspect the engine periodically at night, because you can sometimes see sparks coming from the wires when you bend them, he was used to working on old cars though with dodgy wiring but the point I took from his advice was to consider all angles!  I wouldn't lose sight of your first fault code which was from the throttle position sensors so like Bibs suggested check your fuse panels and check as well the actuator and supporting wiring at the throttle pedal (for corrosion, loosing wiring etc etc

Coming back to electrical supplier, a multi meter at this point is a friend indeed, so work your way across the fuel injectors etc etc.

Silly question, but I'm gonna ask it - is there enough fuel in the tank?!  That being said, I think there's a specific fault code for fuel supply, don't know it off top of my head though...

• 2 years later...
On 03/09/2018 at 16:00, Ledlights said:

**FIXED**

Thanks for all the help.

I’ll make a personal note not to reassemble in the dark!

In case it helps someone else. The TB related codes were cured by gently moving the spades on the TB to improve the connection in the plug. The misfire was caused because the breather hose on the back of the TB had come off where it goes onto the actuator.  All fine now with no misfire, starting trouble or stalling at junctions!

Thanks for including the fix Steve, I've been getting the TB fault codes intermittently (only twice, a few weeks apart).

Hope you're well btw - found a new toy yet?

Seb