free hit
counters
How did you come to buy a LOTUS? - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

How did you come to buy a LOTUS?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

May as well write this down.  Who knows, maybe my children will be curious about their dad some day and want to read it . . .   As a young child, about four years old in the late 1970s, I wa

Spot on. No time to waste. And use the cars as much as possible. My Excel has just turned 61,000 miles, it was 37,000 when I bought it. Evora has done 8000 miles in one year and off to Germany to the

I was about 20 when I went to see an Esprit for sale at a well known Lotus dealer in Belgium. As a carguy, I knew about the Esprit as the fastest 4-pot and one of the lowest cars on the market. The ca

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Already had a nice car c63 ...one of my best mates got diagnosed with motor neurone disease totally out of the blue died within 6months.thought sod it life’s too short bought an exige

• Like 2

When I was about 14 we went on holiday to a caravan park in Wales and parked in the staff car park each day was a Europa. 

I just fell in love with it immediately. It was like no other car I had ever seen. So I decided there and then that I would own one, and in the end a JPS Europa was my first car. 

It was with great sadness that I sold it but this was somewhat alleviated by the car I was replacing it with, which was a 2-year old dry-sump Turbo Esprit. I bought the car from "Fearsome Freddie" Davies, not sure if anyone else remembers him, he ran a Lotus service agent in Richmond, Surrey which was accessed by driving up a curved ramp to the first floor and reversing back down which was almost impossible in the Esprit.

• Like 1
On 18/03/2019 at 07:01, Andyww said:

When I was about 14 we went on holiday to a caravan park in Wales and parked in the staff car park each day was a Europa. 

I just fell in love with it immediately. It was like no other car I had ever seen. So I decided there and then that I would own one, and in the end a JPS Europa was my first car. 

It was with great sadness that I sold it but this was somewhat alleviated by the car I was replacing it with, which was a 2-year old dry-sump Turbo Esprit. I bought the car from "Fearsome Freddie" Davies, not sure if anyone else remembers him, he ran a Lotus service agent in Richmond, Surrey which was accessed by driving up a curved ramp to the first floor and reversing back down which was almost impossible in the Esprit.

Fred Davies owned my dry sump for 28 years @Andyww. He only sold it due to being diagnosed with Alzheimers and sadly passed away late last year. I had a very nice phone conversation with him about a year ago. He seemed like a real character and certainly had a great interest in his old car. 

12 minutes ago, Steve4012 said:

Fred Davies owned my dry sump for 28 years @Andyww. He only sold it due to being diagnosed with Alzheimers and sadly passed away late last year. I had a very nice phone conversation with him about a year ago. He seemed like a real character and certainly had a great interest in his old car. 

Wow! I had no idea he maintained his interest in Lotus.

When he sold me his white dry sump, with Essex stripes, it was under duress. A guy called Peter Johnson who was all mouth and no trousers joined him as a sales guy and persuaded him to sell me the car to fund expansion of the business. They rented a shop in Sheen on the main road. This failed dismally and his entire business closed down shortly after. The workshop site which was just off Richmond hill was developed into flats. It was a prime site and dont know if he had any ownership of it.

If he owned yours for that long he must have bought it reasonably soon after that. 

He was an unusual guy, his idea of customer service was to tell customers to F off if they had the gall to question anything he was doing. He was pretty knowlegable though. He admitted to me that the engine in the car I bought from him had been rebuilt because he had accidentally run it without any water in it after a service! Full marks for owning up to that.

• Like 1