free hit
counters
Bulkhead plywood noise - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Bulkhead plywood noise

On my 2001 Lotus Esprit V8, I have the the annoying noise behind the driver and passenger seats. Based on my research, it must be the plywood that is not firmly secured and the metal supports need to be shortened and tightened.

I read that I must cut 2 holes to access those bolts.

1) Will shortening those bolts fix this issue for sure ?

2) Is there any other way to access those bolts besides cutting the carpet behind the seats ?

See attached photos from my driver and passenger seats, and the photos I found on the web regarding the holes I need to make.

Thanks !!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You must remove the bolt plate in order to shorten the sleeves - it cannot be done in situ.

It is convenient to cut through the carpet/sound deadening to withdraw the bolt plate.  If you don't want to cut the carpet, then you will have the much bigger job of disassembling the window surround and pulling the carpet/deadening in order to get it out.

It is possible to make clean cuts which are barely noticeable afterwards.

• Like 1

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

It’s not actually the bulkhead that’s moving in the car, it’s the chassis tab not being clamped hard enough to prevent movement between the chassis tab and GRP bulkhead in the engine bay.

I tried shortening the tubes, but no luck, the noise was still there. I ended up fabricating thicker plates for inside the car (maybe 3mm) and another pair to fit over the chassis tabs in the engine bay. I increased bolt size to M10, and slid a suitably-sized piece of thin rubber jointing in between the GRP and the chassis tab before bolting them up very tight. No more noise problems.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

• 8 months later...

Hello,

not long ago I purchased a really nice S4s.

I also want to do the modification like described on LEW:

http://www.lotusespritworld.com/EGuides/EModifications/BulkheadPlate.html

I have access to the bolts in the engine bay on the passenger side ( it´s a LHD car ). But the bolts on the driver side are really hidden, I can see them but there is no place for a tool)-;

Does anybody have experiences?

BTW, sorry for my non perfect English...

Thanks, Thilo