free hit
counters
1989 Esprit Turbo S Race Replica - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

1989 Esprit Turbo S Race Replica

Take a look at my LEW page.

http://lotusespritworld.com/EOwners/ZzbinZzdningz.html

This is my Esprit track day weapon:-)

I bought i in 2002 and have been modifying it since then.

Its incredible fast steetcar on the track with working downforce.

I have the same lap times as the Stcc (Btcc) race cars at the track,so I know its faster with a professional driver.

Main problem is that I dont have drysump so I have to take it easy in the fastest turns.

Next mod is a 6 speed dogbox internals to my stock gearbox.

After that I will like to do a paint job and make it look nicer.

I do all the mods my self so if you have any questions about it this is the place.

Edited by rydning

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And... the results are in.... you're a god!.... very nice work man!!! I wonder... will you be needing that old gearbox then??? heheh.... i don't think i'm actually ready to purchase that yet... maybe next year... but i know i'm gonna need a renault at some point.... Very nice work... It makes me realize I should have saved my energy for this car.. built 2 engines/cars previously and I think my enthusiasm is decreasing...

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

• 2 weeks later...
Take a look at my LEW page.

http://lotusespritworld.com/EOwners/ZzbinZzdningz.html

This is my Esprit track day weapon:-)

I bought i in 2002 and have been modifying it since then.

Its incredible fast steetcar on the track with working downforce.

I have the same lap times as the Stcc (Btcc) race cars at the track,so I know its faster with a professional driver.

Main problem is that I dont have drysump so I have to take it easy in the fastest turns.

Next mod is a 6 speed dogbox internals to my stock gearbox.

After that I will like to do a paint job and make it look nicer.

I do all the mods my self so if you have any questions about it this is the place.

Hi rydning

Awesome ride you got

Have you dynoed your car,

how long have you run your engine at that

power level, and have you decided on the engine swap

you want to go with,

I am considering the 1UZ-FE, have you done any research

on the bell housing needed to mate the 1UZ with UN1

I just got this idea not to long ago so still researching,

cant make up my mind stick with 910 or swap the 1UZ in,

Tony

Hi, Rydning,

I look forward to read your review on the 6-speed GTO racing box.

**I have installed the 5-speed version and will testrun the transmission for the 1st time this week.

Hi, Esprithk

which 5 speed kit did you get, did you test

it yet?

tony

I have used 1,45 bar of boost several year now and had some headgasked problem using stock ecu with to hige timing.I did a lot of testing with G-tech and i had 345bhp in the ground earlier with stock ecu.

Now with Autronic I get 370bhp at the rearwheel.

I have used 1,6 bar of boost in 1/8 mile dragrace but I`m pretty worry whats gona breake next....

I realy want a V8 or a V12??.and have/still considder to use a stock V8 but I`m not sure as it have a hole lot of problem more than it apears.

The 1uzfe V8 is probably 1 of the best engines ever produced.So i considder back and forward what to do......

There is a Austalian company that are doing some adapter plates betwen renault-1uzfe..not the renault/lotus-1uzfe.

So i gess we have to build every single peace our self and thats why I considder to use the stock lotus V8.

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

well I emailed Dave at [email protected]

he emailed back and said he will look around and get

back at me,

but if there is a company that does adapter

plates for renault UN1 cant we find renault bell housing

swap it with our housing and use their adapter,

if not I will send my box and UZ engine to a local machine shop

and see what he can come up with If you interested maybe we can

save if we do 2 kits

can you still use autronik with 1UZ how do you like it

I was planing to order Link I hear they work good with 1UZ

well I emailed Dave at [email protected]

he emailed back and said he will look around and get

back at me,

but if there is a company that does adapter

plates for renault UN1 cant we find renault bell housing

swap it with our housing and use their adapter,

if not I will send my box and UZ engine to a local machine shop

and see what he can come up with If you interested maybe we can

save if we do 2 kits

can you still use autronik with 1UZ how do you like it

I was planing to order Link I hear they work good with 1UZ

Yes,and the Autronic is a very flexible ecu.Main benefit is the powerful software so when its installed its very userfriendly.

Main thing is to use a ecu that is easy to get suport/help.

Ye I`m very interested in the adapter.

Are you planning to turbocharge this engine?

What are you doing to the gearbox?

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

I am waiting for the www.hollowayperformance.com

upgrade and I am looking in to a 03-04 cobra supercharger

they use the eaton 112, but I may go with twin turbo setup,

do you have the contact info for the Australian company

that offered the adapter for lexus renault ?

Blew the headgasked yesterday at a 1/8 mile dragrace.

I have used 1.45bar of boost for trackdays for a long time now and 1,6bar at a couple off drag last year.

So I tought it was ok with 1,7bar this time.....but not.Then I know its impossible to use 1,7bar of boost with normal headgasked and ARP studs.I will say that 1,45 bar is pretty much max with a very good IC and a big efficient turbo witch givs cold intake air.

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

OUCH.... sorry to hear that!. Something for a side thought though... we've all been discussing what engine to swap in all over this forum... There's tonnes of ideas.... I'm going to add another one: SR20DET. Took a ride in my buddies Syliva last night and remembered how much I love that engine. His Sylvia pulls harder than the 300zx I built with 320 rwhp.... Really impressive little 4 cylinder in that syl!....

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

sorry that happened

Garry Kemp emailed me with this info

The head gasket gets fragile at around 380hp; the real problem is the nikasil liners; they are not stiff enough at those power levels; He fits Iron liners and heavy duty head studs, washers and nuts.

I wonder if there is another solution to that like custom stronger head gasket, maybe machine and

fit a ring on top of the liners,

also a local engine builder that has a great reputation around here he uses a very inexpensive solution on fragile sleeves, it works great on honda b20 crv engine with very fragile sleeves few pople around here are pushing big Hp with stock sleeves on these engines for couple years now

here is his link

http://www.theoldone.com/components/Posts/...k_post_kits.htm

http://www.theoldone.com/articles/badtothebone/

if you scroll down to the 4th pic you can see the block post

Has anyone considered sealing the deck on the lotus engines?? It seems to me that with floating liners (and they really are floating in this engine) no matter how you tune the motor or what kind of gasket you use you'll eventually build enough cylinder pressure that the liners will walk against the head and cause problems. At this point the weakest link in the chain is the head gasket.. kinda like a safety fuse but if you maximize the gasket ie copper gasket with o-rings the next weakest link might be the liner itself which is a little more expensive to fix. On the topic of interesting engine choices.. supra turbo straight 6 anyone??

I have spoken with Garry many times and the next weak link is the stock iron crank......

So I think I`m pretty much done with the "terrible" Lotus engine designs with liners and iron cranks.... Still like this on the V8 that came in 1996.

If I was going for a 4 pot I would have used the Toyota MR2 turbo engine witch was designed and used in rallies.

+ it have a heck lot of aftermarked parts to it.It has a stock forged steel crank witch you can load up to 800bhp.....

If 400bhp was enough for me the stock Lotus engine would be ok.And 500 with the headgasked problem solved.

Its a lot of engines witch are realy good,but I think I gona build a bullit proof Lexus 1uzfe V8 with turbo.

So I can use the car more and modify other things instead of only repairing thing like I do now.

Finish with putting on a new headgasked tonight.Engine running good again only that the turbo have got a smash in the sealings so its smokes when its on idle.

But I`m ready for track days this weekend, 3 days???hopefully it will last...I`m not gona try 1,7 bar of boost more.

Edited by rydning

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

• 3 months later...

I did change the headgasked in mid June.

And I have turnet the boost up and up and up.

Was driving some dragrace last week with 1,65bar of boost and higer timing......

The headgasked did even survive that also???And the car was FAST.

Some times I`m getting pretty impresed how wel it works.

I have done a lot of track days this summer and seams to take a lot of hard use.

I have some plans for this engine now.....

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

I did change the headgasked in mid June.

And I have turnet the boost up and up and up.

Was driving some dragrace last week with 1,65bar of boost and higer timing......

The headgasked did even survive that also???And the car was FAST.

Some times I`m getting pretty impresed how wel it works.

I have done a lot of track days this summer and seams to take a lot of hard use.

I have some plans for this engine now.....

Robin,

So she's holding at 1.7bar? Are you going to the 1UZ V8? Keep me posted! Got my new chargecooler heat exchanger in place and just trying to bleed the air from the system. hopefully get er on the dyno within the next two weeks!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

yes.... very interested in the 1uzfe swap! That would be one HELL OF A CAR!! There's a couple of people who have put those in 240sx's and silvia's... and.... they are INSANE!!

Robin,

So she's holding at 1.7bar? Are you going to the 1UZ V8? Keep me posted! Got my new chargecooler heat exchanger in place and just trying to bleed the air from the system. hopefully get er on the dyno within the next two weeks!

Artie

I dont think it will last for long........

yes.... very interested in the 1uzfe swap! That would be one HELL OF A CAR!! There's a couple of people who have put those in 240sx's and silvia's... and.... they are INSANE!!

If I can buy a Esprit very cheap I will build a fully race Esprit with no compromises.With a highly modifyed Lexus V8 with twin turbo 1000bhp+ and below 1000kg that will be INSANE for sure.I have a lot of plans,only problem is money and time.............

The one I have now I think to overhaul the engine and put in new steel liners with O-rings,some more headwork+cam,reworked sump,rods,convert it to E85 (gives 10% bhp with the same turbo).

And put the 6sp box into it.

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

• 2 months later...

I have taken out the engine and teared it down.

And I`m pretty impressed how little wear it was inside.

Only some wear on the bearings after some oilsurge in hige speed turns at the track.(1,3-1,5 G)

So now is my plan to overhaul the engine and put in new steel liners with O-rings,some more headwork+cam,reworked sump,rods,convert it to E85 (gives 10% bhp with the same turbo).

I also have some more plans to get more downforce.

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Hi, Rydning

how's your 6-speed gearbox doing?

Its here for sure...

I was planning to use it with the 1uzfe engine....but it will not be stong enough.So I gona put it on when I put the 4 pot back in the car.

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Hey Robin - so what else is new with the car..?

Best rgds - got your email - will respond asap

Jon

Well nothing much,but too many plans...

I did think to step up from the GT30R to the GT35 with 0,78 AR turbine house with twin entry to utilize the pulses better and hopefully not get to slow spoolup compare to the GT30R.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merchant...tegory_Code=GRT

Also some more plans with more

downforce,inrease the torsen stiffnes of the car,overhaul the dampers+put on

stiffer springs.

Edited by rydning

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Rydning: How to you propose to increase torsional strength?