free hit
counters
Evo n. 253 Exige cup 430 Anglesey - V6 Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content


Evo n. 253 Exige cup 430 Anglesey


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been out against a GT R at Anglesey a few months back... the driver wasn't sheepish and definitely give it some stick! Car to Car it was very close but he definitely had the edge. That said he wa

The Exige actually did pretty well against a tough competition imho ... disappointing was the Ford GT though ... 

Posted Images

Reckon with a decent auto box the Exige could have gained an important second on that lap 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the conclusion is simple - Exige is the slowest car in that group and is not in the same league at all. It can then be said that the group composition is somewhat eclectic and these cars are not even supposed to be in the same group, which still does not change the fact of one of them being significantly slower than the rest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 * not the same budget

* no speed box auto

* no adaptive driving aids

* chassis of another time

* engine not expected to race

 conclusion very respecable time for this Lotus Cup 430.

lotus = a lot of emotion behind the wheel.

Edited by ratmbe
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lotus has 401 bhp per ton vs GTR of 371 bhp.  With the Lotus being nearly half a ton lighter you would have hoped it would have spanked the GTR 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, DJW said:

Lotus has 401 bhp per ton vs GTR of 371 bhp.  With the Lotus being nearly half a ton lighter you would have hoped it would have spanked the GTR 

I hear you, but the peak power is at the top of the rev range - and the engine in not always there, you need to look at power and torque to weight through the rev range, then factor in the AMG has seven gears not six and changes gears is a flash.

I've been out with some of these AMGs on track and they always seem pretty mighty.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Having watched the video I think a better driver would have come away with a different result - might be the same order but there were parts where he wasn’t pushing that Exige hard enough in my view

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LF1 said:

Was it me or did it sound like it was coasting up the hill on the fast lap (9:25)?

Sounded like it, but I'm not sure the sound always married up with the footage when it was jumping from outside to inside the car

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching the footage and looking at the telemetry printed in EVO, they are two different laps, certainly on the sound side of things.  That's not saying he didn't fluff up the gearchange.  You can see below.  Lotus in red.

 

40641487_10155499697940836_7540994194089705472_n.jpg.0b7885960212ade920b65e39c3882c62.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good points Gary re torque and gearbox.  I’ve always found the 350+ gearbox to be perfect for fast gearchanges, so was surprised by some of the slow hearchanges in the video plus the negative commentary around it,  

One thing not mentioned in the video though is how long you could stay on track with these cars before the tyres are destroyed, brakes cooked etc,  Reckon the AMG with all that weight would be pretty heavy on consumables on track.  I know people with Nissan GTR’s have experienced the same due to weight of car,  

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is amazing looking at the graph how much time is lost making a manual gearchange. It just goes to show that if you want quick lap times you must have an auto.

I know the Evora auto is still an old fashioned torque converter, but I bet the Exige would be faster with it fitted and with people just looking at laptimes perhaps Lotus should offer this in their extreme performance cars (Lotus marketing, are you listening?)

Performance/£ though, I still think the Exige is a winner :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DJW said:

Good points Gary re torque and gearbox.  I’ve always found the 350+ gearbox to be perfect for fast gearchanges, so was surprised by some of the slow hearchanges in the video plus the negative commentary around it,  

One thing not mentioned in the video though is how long you could stay on track with these cars before the tyres are destroyed, brakes cooked etc,  Reckon the AMG with all that weight would be pretty heavy on consumables on track.  I know people with Nissan GTR’s have experienced the same due to weight of car,  

Very good point.  I'm coming back into a Lotus after 3 years' gap of having an M3 as my daily and track car.  It's not until you start driving around the track in something the wrong side of 1700kgs, you realise just how much difference the weight makes and how quickly you get through tyres, brake pads and disks.  It makes for very expensive track days.  Clearly if you're buying a £250k 911, that may not be an issue but it is to me!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GuyT said:

Very good point.  I'm coming back into a Lotus after 3 years' gap of having an M3 as my daily and track car.  It's not until you start driving around the track in something the wrong side of 1700kgs, you realise just how much difference the weight makes and how quickly you get through tyres, brake pads and disks.  It makes for very expensive track days.  Clearly if you're buying a £250k 911, that may not be an issue but it is to me!!

It’s funny you say that, as the Exige is twice the weight of my Caterham and it uses significantly more consumables!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GFWilliams said:

It’s funny you say that, as the Exige is twice the weight of my Caterham and it uses significantly more consumables!

I suppose everything's relative!  Borrowed a 620S from Caterham for a weekend and loved it.  But hankering for Exige was greater.  In perfect world, I'd have both like you (and keep my M3)!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

They do not to do the r&d from zero but only call a seller; it's not so difficult to buy from Getrag, Graziano or someone that did it and sold to the automakers. And i think not so expensive reading the "optional lists" from Bmw, MB or those who offers it. Only the will to do and to adapt to the engine/chassy. But it's easiest to attach the avensis turbodiesel one and hope that it lasts in track's abuse.

In china's money we trust for future :-D

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Neal H said:

It is amazing looking at the graph how much time is lost making a manual gearchange. It just goes to show that if you want quick lap times you must have an auto.

I know the Evora auto is still an old fashioned torque converter, but I bet the Exige would be faster with it fitted and with people just looking at laptimes perhaps Lotus should offer this in their extreme performance cars (Lotus marketing, are you listening?)

Performance/£ though, I still think the Exige is a winner :)

 

I’ve been saying for yonks I would love the Evora 400 auto change in the Exige,  Wish  someone could explain why they kept IPS software map for Exige rather than upgrade to E400 version  . @Bibs reckon you could get an answer ? 

As stated before I’ve been half tempted to buy a V6S IPS and take it to an Auto gearbox Specialist for a bespoke map.  I reckon if it could be done, you would see IPS car values increase by those looking for the fastest laptimes on track 

Previously owned :Exige 380,  Exige 350,  Evora 400,  Exige V6S,  Esprit GT3,  2-11 SC,  Evora S,  Elite 501

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DJW said:

I’ve been saying for yonks I would love the Evora 400 auto change in the Exige,  Wish  someone could explain why they kept IPS software map for Exige rather than upgrade to E400 version  . @Bibs reckon you could get an answer ? 

As stated before I’ve been half tempted to buy a V6S IPS and take it to an Auto gearbox Specialist for a bespoke map.  I reckon if it could be done, you would see IPS car values increase by those looking for the fastest laptimes on track 

Imo the Exige Cup 430 with the Evora 430 auto gearbox would be perhaps one of the best Lotus produced. With perhaps another 50bhp

Not sure it’s on the horizon though !!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tex if u go the Komo-Tec route u can already have a sequential gearbox and the 50 bhp more 😉

https://komo-tec.com/Shop/Exige/MK3-Toyota-V6-350-380/Getriebe/Sequentielles-7-Gang-Getriebe.html

Apart from this i heard rumors that Komo-Tec will release a dual clutch gearbox for the Exige V6 models this winter (maybe November). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/09/2018 at 02:04, LF1 said:

Was it me or did it sound like it was coasting up the hill on the fast lap (9:25)?

On 19/09/2018 at 04:37, GuyT said:

Watching the footage and looking at the telemetry printed in EVO, they are two different laps, certainly on the sound side of things.  That's not saying he didn't fluff up the gearchange.  You can see below.  Lotus in red.

 

40641487_10155499697940836_7540994194089705472_n.jpg.0b7885960212ade920b65e39c3882c62.jpg

 

I thought the same... Really sounded lazy up the hill. Watching the Exige lap I was thinking he left ~1s on the table...

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.


×
×
  • Create New...