free hit
counters
82 Turbo - anyone know where interior delay relay is? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
madmax

82 Turbo - anyone know where interior delay relay is?

Interior light fades to very nearly off but actually glows slightly even when left indefinitely so I have to have the interior light off or the battery drains. 

Bought a delay module from SJ who tell me it’s located behind the glovebox but I only seem to have headlight relays here. 

Any ideas please?

thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Under/behind the glove box on the far right. Ours is yellow. 

With the headlight and hazard flasher and turn flashers.

ours is an 84. Simon's been doing battle with our electrics for weeks, and I think lotus made each one up as they went along. Each functioning bit is one less thing to do.

In my 84 TE there's a relay behind the rear bulkhead panel just about where the drivers ear is. I assume it's for the bulkhead lamp?

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Early Turbo cars had A082M6143F - INTERIOR LAMP DIMMER MODULE (Progressive dim). 

If I remember correctly, on my 82 car, it was mounted on the passenger side door hinge mounting plate.

A082M6143F INTERIOR LAMP DIMMER MODULE (Progressive dim)

:) 

It's getting there......

Thanks for these pointers guys - I’ll have a dig round tonight and hopefully find it. Replacement is yellow so hopefully it will stand out if I’m in the right general area

12 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

In my 84 TE there's a relay behind the rear bulkhead panel just about where the drivers ear is. I assume it's for the bulkhead lamp?

According to the service manual, that's the heated rear screen relay.

The dimmer is shown on Fabiens picture here:

IMG_4947.thumb.JPG.ac8cd7177158021414e0c

Tried again tonight and can’t locate it in any of those places so I think as someone said, they made it up as they went along!!

in fact the pictures you show are nothing like the replacement SJ Sportscars have sent me. It’s yellow alright but tall and rectangular like a regular relay rather than like the item shown in these posts. Maybe I’m looking for the wrong thing

What you have bought is the delay unit used on later cars. :) 

It's getting there......

2 hours ago, madmax said:

Tried again tonight and can’t locate it in any of those places so I think as someone said, they made it up as they went along!!

Thats right although the term they use in the parts book is "as fitted" which translates as "whatever we could get at the time".

One is the version with visible transistor as shown in above picture, the other is the relay-like unit. The location of that version is clearly shown in the parts list, in the row of items behind the glovebox.

I think the transistor unit dims the lights gradually and the relay unit turns them off after a delay.

Thanks guys - that all makes sense

It looks like SJ have supplied the wrong part for my application - my stevens car has the yellow relay and a light that delays then goes off whereas my turbo fades to off so it’s probably the transistor type I need and then hope I can find it on the pillar

On this 84, as per the parts diagram:

754872.jpg.3395cd4fc11fa215ffa0ca5b2f4fb593.jpg

The light stays on full for 20 seconds, then fades out over a few seconds. 

Surely not, SJ never supply the wrong part :)  :)

Although its highly unlikely that transistor type will be available any more. Probably repairable. Or you could slot another relay base onto the glovebox row and update to the later version. These bases interlock so would be easy to do.

Thanks again

SJ have the type I need and so if I can get to the old one at least I can try it although I don’t know what the connections are. 

The pictures on this post have been really useful so thanks again