free hit
counters
Repairing pst files - Any IT gurus? - Technology & Gaming - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bibs

Repairing pst files - Any IT gurus?

An ex-TLFer who I help out with their IT is causing me a right headache. His 15gb (I know!) pst file is super corrupt, Outlook 2016 is running at a snails pace even in safe mode.

Scanpst.exe is having no luck saying it can't access the file due to a drive error, a scan of the drive is showing it's error free so I'm assuming the pst is so corrupt that the headers can't be read correctly. 

Anyone have any ideas on a fix that doesn't cost the earth? 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Does he/she have a backup? Pre-issue?

Tried copying the PST to a different Outlook instance (another machine) to see if it opens there?

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

make sure that Outlook is properly shut down so it fully releases the PST file. Then try scanpst.exe again. If this won't work, try moving as suggested above and creating a new link to it in Outlook. Don't forget to remove the existing link to the PST file in Outlook so it doesn't look for it each time it starts up.

You could also try the Inox Repair Tool, although I suspect its running scanpst in the background. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/272227/how-to-repair-your-outlook-personal-folder-file-pst

:) 

It's getting there......

Thanks chaps, will give those a go. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Had a similar problem once. My work email slowed to a crawl after 13+ years or so of never deleting anything. It wasn't the pst file, but I had to delate another file in the user or common directory in my profile, then it was fine.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

@Bibsturn it off, then wait a bit and turn it on again. There is no charge for this service 

• Like 1

The end result of this what that Microsoft dialed in for 8 hours/day for 4 days and eventually fixed it! Took a loooong time, even for them! 

Evora NA

All free, just accessed via their website mate! 

• Like 1

Evora NA

Fair play! Nice one.

Did they share the fix?

i assume lesson learned and smaller archives in use now? Monthly and/or yearly?

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I think it would take them as long to document it as it did to do it! 

Junk gone, deleted items gone and a move to IMAP (they were a legacy POP3 client) should do the trick. 

Evora NA