free hit
counters
Rear hub bearing removal - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
peteyg

Rear hub bearing removal

Is this a DIY job or do I need a professional with the right gear who won't break the hub? I've read about heating the hub and freezing the bearing to reinstall and reckon I can manage that bit...

Thanks,

Pete

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hey Pete,

If we're talking about dropping a new bearing into the alloy hub carrier then I can advise as have done so not too long ago without strife. With the precious carrier in good nick and relatively clean load it into the oven or gas BBQ when the wife's out at the shops. I do not readily recall the target temperature but it is imperative to not go too high for the sake of the alloy's temper. Someone here will chime in with the correct number, probably between 250-300 Fahrenheit. I did chill my bearing assembly in the freezer not knowing whether necessary and it simply dropped into place when offered up, axle onboard of course. I re-packed the bearing with proper grease beforehand and gave the housing bore a lick of that high-temp copper/lead stuff, the name of which eludes my holiday addled brain at the moment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, peteyg said:

Is this a DIY job or do I need a professional with the right gear who won't break the hub? I've read about heating the hub and freezing the bearing to reinstall and reckon I can manage that bit...

Thanks,

Pete

To remove, I use a 10 ton press and a purpose made round bar. I wouldn't want to try removing it any other way.

• Like 1

With a 10 ton press and a kitchen its pretty easy! I think most hubs are so old now and have had so many bearings pushed in and out the bore tolerance is on top limit at best

Thanks guys. I'll find someone to press it out and the reassemble myself. I kinda thought it would be that way round.

Pete

Pete, I've got a 10 tonne press if you want to press it out yourself? Might be handy for me to see how it's done if they're the same as my TE 🙂

It's one of these: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/hydraulic-press/shbp10m-10-ton-h-frame-bench-hydraulic-press

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peteyg said:

Thanks guys. I'll find someone to press it out and the reassemble myself. I kinda thought it would be that way round.

Pete

The last time I did mine I had the hub at 200C in the oven and the bearing in the freezer over night. I've tried the hub at 100C and 150C in the past but it wasn't quite enough.

18 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

Pete, I've got a 10 tonne press if you want to press it out yourself? Might be handy for me to see how it's done if they're the same as my TE 🙂

It's one of these: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/garage-equipment/hydraulic-press/shbp10m-10-ton-h-frame-bench-hydraulic-press

Thanks Neil. I have a potential option about 200 yards away from home but if that's no good I'll come knocking on your door.

Pete

• Like 1

Pete,

Did you find two new bearings for the rear at a reasonable price? 

I have one new, that I once bought from ebay, for almost nothing, laying on the shelf now but I hear that they become hard to find?

When I renewed the U/J's,januari 2017, I managed to get the bearings apart, while pulling the drive axle out of the hub. I mean, The outer bearing stayed in the hub, the inner bearing stayed on the axle. Some people told me NOT to use those bearings again under any circumstances, other information told me, I could just put them together.

So I inspected them, cleaned and regreased them and they are fine ever since. remember the topic...

Thanks Geert. I bought from SJ. £130 each for the bearing. I remember your post about the bearings. I will see what the old one looks like when I take it out. If it can be reused then I will have a spare!

Pete

5 hours ago, peteyg said:

Thanks Neil. I have a potential option about 200 yards away from home but if that's no good I'll come knocking on your door.

Pete

No problem.

Are the rear bearings unique to the Esprit or shared with something else? Any numbers on your new bearing?

Just got the hub off and seals removed to take it over to a man with a press shortly. Interesting to note that at some point a bearing was removed by a complete tool and not the correct type either :no

42832423750_415b9dbd24_k.jpg2018-09-12_08-34-43 

• Sad 1

Will be fine Pete,,  Only easy as you went through all the effort to heat and freeze the items.   :thumbup:

Makes a change to see lotus bits pictured by an oven on here, it is normally the dishwasher that gets used for most lotus bits in the kitchen lol 

• Like 1

On 20/09/2018 at 22:03, peteyg said:

Hopefully final update. 

Bearing successfully replaced. Friendly vintage bus company down the road had a press to get old bearing out which caused no issues. 

New bearing went into the freezer overnight.

Hub went into the oven (whilst the wife was out) for an hour at 200 degrees C...

44760890072_1ee1e65566_k.jpg

Frozen bearing literally dropped into the hole in the hub...

29873506587_b17f9a9c73_k.jpg

It was almost too easy, which slightly worries me...

Pete

Just about to do this Pete. Was it as easy as you suggest?

Easy is indeed how it should go. I've done this on both Esprit S2 and Elan S1 and in both cases the axle-borne bearing just dropped into place. It must be down to the coefficient of expansion of the aluminium. No problems whatsoever in hard usage over the years in the Elan and I expect the same once the Esprit is at last resurrected.

Cheers