free hit
counters
Has anyone actually weighed a G. Car? - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content


Has anyone actually weighed a G. Car?


GTK

Recommended Posts

On 03/12/2018 at 03:25, GTK said:

Double posting but we've got the beginning of some answers here finally. I'll weigh the body next, can't wait to see what that comes out at! then all the little bits and pieces as I work my way through the resto.

 

Hi George. Any luck on the body weight yet...?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

 

Not yet, got held up by the lack of beams to stretcher the body over the scales with. Will be back on it in a few weeks and looking forward to weighing.

Been meaning to open a book on this, so if anyone fancies taking a punt on the actual weight...

This sounds impossible but I'm betting around 180kg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/03/2019 at 18:42, GTK said:

 

Not yet, got held up by the lack of beams to stretcher the body over the scales with. Will be back on it in a few weeks and looking forward to weighing.

Been meaning to open a book on this, so if anyone fancies taking a punt on the actual weight...

This sounds impossible but I'm betting around 180kg

Cheers.

I'd take a punt at about 220kg myself...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

For those whose cars are not yet MOT exempt. Weighing the car is now part of the MOT brake test, corner weights not just total.

Just ask when having the MOT done and most places will give you a print out.

And if you are MOT exempt it does mean that any MOT station now has the equipment to do the weighing and I'm sure they would do it for you if you ask nicely, it only takes a few seconds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I weighed my S1 last year on a local weighbridge for a laugh, but .... I've forgotten what it was. Oops!

From memory it was very close to the book value of 1,060kg once you took fuel and driver into account.

I should have got the readings from the suspension tuning folks too, but forgot.

TBH I just like driving it.767239181_DCJ_279401.thumb.jpg.62eacbeb2e2d9dacda0d678c733edf11.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rather hoping to get the weight of just the fiberglass body, with doors and glass, off the chassis.  Hoping to lift the body off the chassis with engine lift, having made two straps, front and back to go over a long central plank with arms.  Lifting by the middle over the roof.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Took me and 4 others to lift the body with windscreen, rear lights, and loom in situ, and place it on a custom made dolly.

The stripped and repainted bare shell with fuel tanks was comfortably fitted to the rebuilt chassis and running gear by 4 men. Took us no more than 30 seconds to lift and fit.

Edited by Fridge
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Fridge said:

Took me and 4 others to lift the body with windscreen, rear lights, and loom in situ, and place it on a custom made dolly.

The stripped and repainted bare shell with fuel tanks was comfortably fitted to the rebuilt chassis and running gear by 4 men. Took us no more than 30 seconds to lift and fit.

So perhaps 250/300 lbs...?  Rather like lifting a coffin, for want of a better comparison

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, whiskybob said:

Rather hoping to get the weight of just the fiberglass body...

I'll weigh it if I can on Friday, but next week at the latest. Sorry just never got around to it. My shell still has the sound deadening attached, the bit that lies at the end of the chassis tunnel as it meets the engine bay. That stuff is heavy enough to effect the weight, but regardless as has been said four people is more than enough to lift a body, in fact when I realised how light mine is I gave it a go with one other guy, for the laugh. We lifted it easily. Just a dead lift mind, I wouldn't try lifting it off the chassis with just two. As I said before I'd estimate around 200kg / 450lbs, maybe less. The book is open if anyone wants to have a guess. Will weigh asap. 

One thing; the body needs to be slightly elevated to from the rear, and teased just a little forward as you lift, as it can hook on to the front of the chassis and catch. If you watch us lift the body off mine you'll see it catch momentarily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GTK said:

I'll weigh it if I can on Friday, but next week at the latest. Sorry just never got around to it. My shell still has the sound deadening attached, the bit that lies at the end of the chassis tunnel as it meets the engine bay. That stuff is heavy enough to effect the weight, but regardless as has been said four people is more than enough to lift a body, in fact when I realised how light mine is I gave it a go with one other guy, for the laugh. We lifted it easily. Just a dead lift mind, I wouldn't try lifting it off the chassis with just two. As I said before I'd estimate around 200kg / 450lbs, maybe less. The book is open if anyone wants to have a guess. Will weigh asap. 

One thing; the body needs to be slightly elevated to from the rear, and teased just a little forward as you lift, as it can hook on to the front of the chassis and catch. If you watch us lift the body off mine you'll see it catch momentarily.

Yeap...  Seen that vid plus almost all the rest over the past year. but going to review and take notes now that I've started my S1 project.  I'm not planning on removing the entire interior except to clean and replace, then put new covers on the binnacle, around gear shift and on top dash by windscreen.

Re weight, I'd guess 315 lbs, minus doors.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So there you go...  Nicely done and we all know.  Excellent and thank you

Quote

.. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...