free hit
counters
Brake pedal travel on GT410 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Spinney

Brake pedal travel on GT410

I'm still getting to know my new 410 but something I've noticed is that there seems rather more pedal travel on the brakes than I would like. There is no problem with the brakes themselves, which pull the car up very firmly and square, but I seem to have to push the pedal down far more than I would have expected, before they bite. This probably is exacerbated somewhat by the car being an auto and, therefore, has the usual tendency to creep whilst stationary, requiring  more of a push on the pedal to keep it from moving.

Both my other cars are autos and on those, it is easy to trickle slowly through congestion, requiring just the occasional gentle dab on the pedal if I need to slow a bit or stop. The Evora auto seems to want to move more quickly under the same conditions, which requires constant braking at times to keep it from moving too fast and I need to use far more than just a gentle dab on the pedal. Has anybody else noticed this about the brakes and is there any way to adjust the bite point or is it just a case of me needing to get used to it?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi mate. I have the same sensation in my 410 auto sport. At first I thought it was odd, as the brakes on my previous Cayman GTS were much more responsive on initial contact, but I’m now used to having to depress slightly more to get the brakes to do what I want.

I can only assume this is normal as I’ve had 2 different mechanics take the car out (who were looking at separate issues) and neither suggested there was anything ‘wrong’ with the brakes. 

• Thanks 1

Have you had Evoras before?  On both mine the brake travel is long but very progressive allowing you much better feel and control than brakes that grab hard with short travel.

Most track cars I have driven have long pedal travel for the same reason, it also makes heel and toe easier IMO

At low speed, I do find something similar and I think you're right about the creep speed, it does seem a little higher than my other car.  What I tend to do is just allow a bigger gap before setting off.  I'm completely use to the brakes now and overall I find the brakes incredible - smooth and progressive; what you put in is what you get out which makes them quite adjustable for trail braking.  I had a Golf GTD a few years back and that was way too over assisted, you only had to look at them to stop!!

It’s not just a 410 thing, my 400 has the same thing. I’ve never been fully happy with the amount of travel.

One way round it, I’ve found on mine at least, is to ‘pump’ the brake pedal once, that brings the bite point up to a place I’m happier with. You don’t have to put any real weight on the pedal, so it doesn’t unbalance the car.

I’ve had it checked a couple of times and there is no leakage, which was my first concern, just seems to be a ‘feature’ of the car. 

Tris...

It's a very subjective thing, but for me a nice progressive pedal gives the best feel for progressive and adjustable braking, I hate grabby no travel brakes, they are too binary and give much less control. In my book controlling the car with the brake and throttle is as important as steering input except round town.

With regards to creeping, my Subaru out back was worse than the IPS Evora, so I don't really see an issue. Progressive pedal helps you moderate the creep easily too.

I’d forgotten about posting this way back in September. I have got more used to this particular peculiarity of the car but it still seems slightly odd compared to my other cars. 

Regarding the comment about most track cars having longer brake pedal travel, I haven’t found this on any of my previous Loti. Neither my last V6 Exige nor the Elise SC before it had a long initial pedal travel before starting to bite yet they were both progressive in performance; not at all grabby. This is my first Evora, so it seems from most comments on here it is just a quirk of this particular Lotus model, quite unlike previous cars I’ve owned from Hethel. 

I had a Subaru Outback 3.0Rn auto a few years ago too but, again, that had braking more akin to all the other autos I’ve owned;  short pedal travel and progressive, without being grabby. Trickling along in traffic was no problem either, unlike my Evora. 

I haven’t used the Evora much of late, having been away a lot, but I’m sure when I start using it again regularly, I’ll get more used to it. 

For me there is definitely a small dead spot at the initial part of the break pedal movement.

I've had a 911 (997) which I would describe as being probably the last generation of Porkers where the braking had a more natural feel without excessive servo assistance.  My last Porker before the Evora was a 2015 Cayman, which had more noticeable assistance, but neither had what I would describe as the free movement in the pedal before breaking occurs (like it feels like it does in my 400).

I do like the brakes on my 400.  Once I have a couple of jerky brake applications negotiating my way out of work, out on the open road the 'dead spot' doesn't come into play for me at that point.

The brake set up on the 4**s with the 2 piece rotors, large diameter disk/4 pistons etc, is probably about as good as you would sensibly get this side of ceramics.

In fact the only new car I've seen with a better non ceramic brake set up as standard is the RWD Huracan with almost identical rear brakes to the Lotus but with a 6 pot caliper up front and a larger/thicker disk as well.  That said, I suspect most leave the factory with upgraded carbon ceramics.