free hit
counters
Tarting up the Esprit - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rayberne

Tarting up the Esprit

I’m working on cleaning up a few details that have been let go while the car was in extended storage. I was pleased to make Steve V8’s acquiantence and he will be supplying some of the carpets - you can see UV dry-rot has taken a toll on the edge bindings. (If expert-level Forum members can instruct me on how to hyper-link to Steve’s page, that would be appreciated by both of us, I’m sure). The photo is before I started the process; the red body work has cleaned up nicely, as has the black plastic on the engine cover and access panels. 

The top of the engine, however, is a bit of an embarrassment. It is dirty and faded beyond reclamation and I think it needs a fresh coat. What guidance have you for me? Should I get out the sockets and start removing the top end?

BTW - It’s been suggested to me that I blog my project and I think I’ll do that eventually. For now my efforts and progress are small to merit inconveniencing the few electrons in cyberspace that my little projects are worth.

0538A154-5473-424D-8921-818064275F6A.jpeg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

@Rayberne if you want a notification of your comments to be seen by a member put the @ sign in front of their name and tap the link, a notification will go to their mailbox as you will have received this one.

The plenum and cam covers are easily removed for refurbishment, always use new gaskets and cover the inlets with tape, you don't want anything other than fuel or air dropping in there. Have seen a few damaged V8 engines on here recently due to careless maintenance. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

If we're talking about 'tarting', @swindon_alanis your man for that.

Oooh, American Operation potential?

1 minute ago, Barrykearley said:

And don’t have the plenums media blasted

Heh, I bet @Blackngolds3turbo will have something to say about that then...

You do not want any rubbish media inside that plenum. It’s full of special hiding places for material.....

Excellent advice, thank you to all. So - I will look for gasket set B910E9246W which should have all I need plus two head baskets that I don’t need.

And no media blasting. Good thought. I will hand-strip and then high-temp paint or powder coat. I am so tempted to do something exotic - color change or polished metal or somesuch, but think I am better advised to stay as close to factory as possible.

Good luck with the project! Although, it doesn’t sound like you’ve got too much to do. 

With the plenum, yes I’ve got something to say! For once, Barry said something sensible 😂 no, don’t get them media blasted, your best bet is to ask your local powder coaters to acid strip it and re powder coat.

If you fancy it, have a look at my V8 project thread when yours feels like a long haul! 

Maddy, @Blackngolds3turbo I see you made your top sides silver. Is that factory to match the body or custom color selection? (I am such a newby!) I have been assuming all the engines were red from the factory.

59 minutes ago, Rayberne said:

I have been assuming all the engines were red from the factory.

Perhaps @cweeden will enlighten you with a Sport 350 piccy. 

There she is...what a beauty, as far as I'm aware Ray, all road going versions of the Esprit V8 had Red tops from the factory, apart from the rare and very desirable Sport 350's which were blue. @mike_sekinger would be the person to ask.

@Rayberne aha, mine is a custom colour, it’s actually ice blue. It’s still a Lotus colour, but not original figment as an engine colour. If anyone can guess as to which Lotus colour I’d be very, very impressed!

I had my covers redone - they not original black from Lotus.

All of my black sets were painted by http://www.colorcote.co.uk/  - they prepared the original Lotus parts and are just down Potash Lane in Hethel.

• Thanks 1

I contacted them for some of the original blue for touch up purposes (I think you gave me the contact details years ago). Unfortunately they couldn’t remember the exact colour and sent me three small bottles, the best of which you can see a patch of near the throttle body on the left as you look at it. 

One day I’ll try and get it colour matched properly. 

Cheers

-Chris

4 hours ago, Blackngolds3turbo said:

@Rayberne aha, mine is a custom colour, it’s actually ice blue. It’s still a Lotus colour, but not original figment as an engine colour. If anyone can guess as to which Lotus colour I’d be very, very impressed!

A44 Glacier Blue?

Wow. That front engine black car is intriguing; I’ll look it up!

In the meantime I think I will consider alternate colors. In a red car the red engine trim is nice, but I’ll explore the possibility of something a little more exotic. High-polish silver or light gray with black or red logos is appealing ....

1 hour ago, Bazza 907 said:

A44 Glacier Blue?

Not Glacier Blue! It’s actually more closely related to the colour of your other Esprit, strangely enough! 

1 hour ago, Blackngolds3turbo said:

Not Glacier Blue! It’s actually more closely related to the colour of your other Esprit, strangely enough! 

Ice bue

7 hours ago, mike_sekinger said:

Polished looks very nice !

DSCF0003.JPG

That looks lovely Mike, like an alien curled up in there.

I've done a fair bit of ally polishing over the years and developed an allergy to aluminium, the plenum must be awkward to do with all those nooks and crannies.