free hit
counters
NEC Classic Car Show-Birmingham Nov. 9-11 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Roy Lewington

NEC Classic Car Show-Birmingham Nov. 9-11

Is it me? Am I out of touch?    Just looking at the prices for Saturday   £30 (or  £26.50 advance booking), oh except the advance booking incurs a fee of £1.95 so a huge saving there of £1.55 which won't even get you a cup of coffee.   Last time I went, parking was £10, probably more now.  All this so that I can get in to spend more money------  I don't normally pay to go shopping.   I see Traders Stands and Autojumble Stands are in excess of £200 each so somebody is collecting a lot of money. Last year it seems 72000 trooped through the doors, you do the maths.  Any thoughts? Roy.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You're not wrong, someone is doing well out of it!  That said, I will be there again this year trawling the halls finding things that I never knew I needed 😉

• Haha 2

Went a few years ago but really didn't find anything I wanted to buy. Distinct lack of quality traders. There were some nice cars on show, but really not worth the trip for us.

Me and my brother with a couple of old friends go for the weekend every year. Yes it's pricey but it's a huge show and plenty to see. 2 days solid walking round classics and chatting to the occasional owner. The autojumble is really just a sideshow and if you want a decent jumble the Beaulieu is the only place to go.

Sometimes it's about the experience not just the money. For me it's one of my favourite weekends of the year.

22 hours ago, Roy Lewington said:

Is it me? Am I out of touch?    Just looking at the prices for Saturday   £30 (or  £26.50 advance booking), oh except the advance booking incurs a fee of £1.95 so a huge saving there of £1.55 which won't even get you a cup of coffee.   Last time I went, parking was £10, probably more now.  All this so that I can get in to spend more money------  I don't normally pay to go shopping.   I see Traders Stands and Autojumble Stands are in excess of £200 each so somebody is collecting a lot of money. Last year it seems 72000 trooped through the doors, you do the maths.  Any thoughts? Roy.

What gets me is that those who exhibit their cars do so for basically nothing. A lot of them take them up on the day before and then spend 3 days answering questions like "Does it go underwater?" and then bring them home late on the Sunday. 

Loved Beaulieu, not sure about the NEC stalls. Lots of Sh**e.

Past times I have gone, its been as part of Sporting Bears club, so free. PLus, you get to drive your car, talk to people who are actually interested (ie not the wife) and you raise money for charity, usually in the order of 40k over the weekend. You get a bit of time to look around too, depending on the popularity of your 'drive' Last time I went, 2016, I was out driving all day. Happy to be part of a stand but this does more for me.

• Like 1

Well I guess it is what you preceive to be value for money.  To make a decent fist of it with some accomodation I am looking at around £200.  For another £70 I can get a weeks holiday all-inclusive in Croatia!    I may still go, and to be fair it is not their fault that I live a long way away.  Thanks for your thoughts.  Roy.

TLF used to spend the best part of £2k each year to go to this for zero return. It's not cheap when it all factored in but we kept being moved to worse and worse spots, hence knocking it on the head. It was nice for some of our members to be able to show off their cars but in terms of value, it was a poor spend. 

Car parking is now £15 iirc but they open the barriers late in the day #tipoftheday

On 13/09/2018 at 19:52, Paul Coleman said:

What gets me is that those who exhibit their cars do so for basically nothing. A lot of them take them up on the day before and then spend 3 days answering questions like "Does it go underwater?" and then bring them home late on the Sunday. 

I displayed my Eclat there a few years ago for Lotusexcel.net. Not living nearby, and wanting some freedom whilst there, we ended up taking a second car. Even with free entry and parking it still cost us upwards of £500 in total for the trip inc fuel, accommodation and meals. A lot of money to make someone else a show.

I'm fairly local to the NEC in Coventry - If anyone wants  to save a few quid and hassle go to Balsall Common and park for free at Berkswell Station. Its the same line and about 6 miles from the NEC - two stops on the local which takes about 5-10 mins to get there. Far easier and less hassle to get in-out.

Edited by nello
  • Like 2