free hit
counters
Rubber Smell - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
phenoyz

Rubber Smell

I posted this on lotustalk and would also like to ask any suggestions/opinion

i went for a joy ride and found a tunnel near
mantera beach on highway 1

upon entering the tunnel, while on third gear, i pressed on the clutch and rev the car's engine for that tunnel sound (i have plack exhaust), i rev the engine hard maybe 4-5 times...

then there was this VERY strong rubber-like smell...

the car is running fine NO check engine, NO stalling, I
parked the car turned it off, turned it on, everything i is OK...

I drove the car home for 51 miles car runs perfect!

except for that very strong rubber smell that comes i believe from the engine....

suggestions ?

(the rubber-like smell became less inside the car on our way home, but there is still smell by the engine compartment)...

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Exhaust mounts?

Perhaps, the straight through pipe Plack exhausts get hotter than the normal systems !? 

17 hours ago, PaulCP said:

possible clutch burn?

if a clutch burn do i need to replace the clutch?

thanks

No, not necessarily. 

A clutch will only need changing if it is slipping (or if there are significant vibrations or noises coming from it). Abusing a clutch will significantly reduce it’s lifespan though. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, phenoyz said:

if a clutch burn do i need to replace the clutch?

thanks

As per Jonny above.

Clutch smell can hang around for a few hours though so, given your account of the event, it is a possibility. Is the smell still there when you use the car?

I drove the car the yesterday for maybe 20 miles and the smell inside was gone, you can only smell it if you open the

engine and take out the engine cover but smell is less, other than that car is driving normal and no engine light...

even if clutch does not need replacing, how hard is it to replace the clutch? will engine need to be

taken out?

thanks

A 'burned clutch' does not smell like rubber. By contrast, it smells very ankrid and aggressive to the 'nose'. So as you describe as 'rubber smell', I really doubt if it's a burnt clutch.

Belts, rubber hangers, hoses rubbing... anything 'rubber' will produce that rubber smell if it gets hot.

Maybe a random 'one off'? Perhaps repeat what you did and take a friend along to help narrow down the focus of the smell, should it re-occur.

Good luck! 

i drove the car again today for 10 miles... again no more smell inside the car, but if i open the engine cover the smell is still there but not as much as before, actually smell is now minimize ...

I personally would not be driving it. Start it at home to try and find the source of the smell possibly, but I would not chance driving it any distance until I knew what was going on.

Could be one of a million loose things so, as ramjet says, get it to a workshop for a look-see.