free hit
counters
Slow Start - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Rayberne

Slow Start

Obviously better than the “no start” threads, but annoying (actually embarrassing) nonetheless. I experience lots of cranking before the engine fires, and very sensitive to throttle position. Unusual in my experience of FI systems. Is it a characteristic of this car, or shall I start some diagnostics?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Are you starting the engine with your foot off the throttle?

The throttle position is not linear - the mechanism is designed to allow for fine control of the revs in the lower range.

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Yes, by experimentation it is clear that the TPS plays with the start circuit. What’s the correct strategy? Foot completely off the throttle leads to long cranking, but if that is correct I will learn to live with it.

No throttle required for starting.  With a fully charged battery, my experience is that the engine is bursting into life quickly.  It could be that your cranking is slower due to the battery.

Here is a recent first time start, after an engine rebuild.  The engine fires within a few seconds.

• Like 2

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

OK, thanks. Then I shall embark on some diagnostics and testing. I would be quite happy if mine started that quickly.

Does engine temp influence the amount of cranking time required?  (Does it take longer on a hot start?)

Could be fuel pumps (there are two)

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/v8-esprit-starting-problems-429866/

Could also be an issue with the fuel injectors. Take a look at Alan Swindon's cross-reference list, I believe that they cross to early-90s Cadillacs, but not sure.

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Sorry to be obvious-but check the earth connections for cleanliness-I even added a second one (see the "hot start problems" thread. 

And the positive of course!

I have a motorbike and a common problem with the model is poor earth connections. once fixed the slow starting goes away totally-and these bikes are at least 15 years old so most have the problem to some degree.