free hit
counters
Traction control light on (with GRP lights fitted) - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
jamesbilluk

Traction control light on (with GRP lights fitted)

Hi all 

I took the Evora out today, but noticed the yellow traction control light was on, and the sport button was no longer functioning, 

I did fit some new GRP halo lights yesterday, they have the load resistors fitted, would it be these that are causing the fault? 

James 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Just did a test, put the original lights back on, All is fine now, just be the lights :(  Will have to contact the manufacturer, 

I've heard this before about those lights, didn't they fix it with a big in-line resistor pack ?

2 hours ago, jamesbilluk said:

That didn't last long... I've had to put the original lights back on, as the new LED ones seemed to be causing the traction control light to come on/disable the sport button :( Ive contacted the manufacturer to see what could be causing it. 

Let us know if you get an update. I installed mine a few weeks ago in my 400 and am getting same thing. However its not consistent. Sometimes it doesn't happen, sometimes just turning car on and off does the trick and I noticed sometimes if turning car on and off doesn't work if I let car warm up and then turn it off and on it works.

6 minutes ago, Likuid said:

Let us know if you get an update. I installed mine a few weeks ago in my 400 and am getting same thing. However its not consistent. Sometimes it doesn't happen, sometimes just turning car on and off does the trick and I noticed sometimes if turning car on and off doesn't work if I let car warm up and then turn it off and on it works.

Will do, Just got a reply from Greg form GRP, he said it should be quite simple, and that I’ll need to add a resistor to the brake light circuit on one of the lights.. Not sure why resistor I would need/how to get to it. I’m not the most competent when it comes to electronics.... 

@jamesbilluk, I’ve been having the same problems with an original set of the GRP lights. (@DrRick was having similar before he sold his car, and then the lights). 

Greg has sent me a resistor that I need to solder into the brake light line (in order to produce more resistance). Unfortunately, I haven’t had a chance to do this yet. Do you know which particular circuit that your resistor is on? Is it the brake circuit or the indicator circuit?

Finally, have you tried starting the car with your foot on the brake yet (with the GRP lights fitted, obviously)? I think that this might get around the TC issue. (Once again, I’ve not had a chance to try this personally). 

From the message, it seeemd to be the brake circuit for this problem ( these were ordered with the turn signal resistor out when they were made) I thought it would prevent the warning light too. 

Ill give that a go, with starting the car with my foot on the brake, 

Just got another reply- apparently the fitted resistors are to stop the incicators flashing too fast, it should just need another of the same risistors in the brake light circuit. 

FWIW, I was the ‘crash test dummy’ for Greg’s first set of Euro-spec lights. The first resistor, for the indicator, fixes the hyper-flashing issue (common with many LED lights). 

The second resistor, in the brake circuit, should fix the TC issue. However, like I said, I’ve not had a chance to fit and test mine yet. 

ISTR that it is a slightly different rating to the first resistor. However, Greg was good enough to send me out one from the USA. 

@Mark030358 might also be interested in this thread. 

(I presume that the ‘single taillight’ Exiges use the same circuits as Evoras). 

I did wonder if the resistors have to be soldered in place, but they can use the wire tape to keep it in place between the blue  and black wire, Greg’s sending a photo tomorrow of how to connect them which will be great. Greg recons these will be ok- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryde-Motorcycle-Indicator-Flasher-Resistors/dp/B00JQ73C1W/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1537202907&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=led+indicator+resistor

I fitted my resistors on my original Halos's like thus... https://www.lotusforsale.com/ads/grp-halo-lights/

I had exactly the same when I was on my Euro trip. Start the car with foot on the brake. Dealer also told me that if the lights dont come on when pedal pressed TC light will go on.

cheers

Mark

Yep, soldering would definitely be your best bet. You are dealing with brake lights, after all. 

If you can’t solder already, it’s a pretty straight forward skill to learn. With a £30 soldering kit and a few lessons from the University of YouTube, I managed to turn these:

6CF637A5-65F4-44CA-BCCA-C0C155AF1DD7.jpeg

...into these:

1B8B4E4F-A6EF-4D0B-8F0C-FE154168FFBD.jpeg

...and then, finally, into this:

12BA98B3-E451-4452-BFBD-DE3A0A15CDC5.jpeg

But still, that’s a thread for another time. ;)

• Like 1

Yep, had the same issue with my transforged lights. The original brake light circuit was only 4W, the available load resistors are made to mimic a 21w incandescent bulb. I didn't want to install a large resistance (and potentially overload the brake circuit), so installed a bulb holder in parallel across the brake circuit so I could insert a bulb with the correct wattage. Only had to do one side and it solved the issue. 

Edited by DBG

Hi guys, 

We have  discovered that all V6 cars and Evoras will need this resistor for the brake light circuit with our new GT new lights.   

With the previous lights it was only some cars---not sure why that was, we can only speculate that there was a difference in the ICM between some of the years.      

The resistor sold here works perfectly: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryde-Motorcycle-Indicator-Flasher-Resistors/dp/B00JQ73C1W/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1537202907&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=led+indicator+resistor
You will only need to add one of them to the pigtail on the tail light itself.   No cutting will be needed and you dont need to alter the wiring on the actual car.   The resistor will just need to be tapped into the pigtail on the tail light using a wiring tap aka scotch lock.   
The red wire on the resistor will connect to the blue wire on the lights
The black wire will connect to the black wire on the lights.   
This provides the correct resistance needed to keep the icm/ecu happy and keep the pesky traction/error lights off.   

If you need further info please email us at: [email protected] 

• Like 2

@GRP, do you therefore need:

• One per lamp for the indicator circuit
  • One per lamp for the brake circuit

i.e. 4no resistors all in?

Rick

No.

Two for the indicators (one each side) and one for the brakes (either side). 

Jonny is correct.   A total of three are needed.    

All sorted now, my attempt at it- Just one one resistor, I’ve put it on the passenger side. 

Just plugged them in, all works now, and no traction control light, with a working sport button :) Onoy took 5 mins to do in the end, 

Many thanks for the help Greg :) 

1806D426-1C27-4700-BFBF-8E0CA227BACA.jpeg

Any reason they don't come this way ?