free hit
counters
oil in coolant/radiator - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sandsmccoy

oil in coolant/radiator

I have a '88 Turbo (US specs) that has not been reaching operating temps the last couple of times I've had it out.  According to various threads in the forum, replacing a stuck/bad thermostat was a reasonable place to start so I order a new one and installed it this evening.  When I drained the coolant down to where I could R & R the thermostat (using air pressure to drain about a gallon of coolant out) I discovered oil in my coolant.  Other than the obvious possibility of a bad head gasket or cracked head, are there other situations that would cause this scenario in this particular model.  Other than not reaching operating temperature (which means the turbo only reaches about half boost) the car runs well -  possibly a bit rich - which I assume is a result of the low operating temp.  The car has approx 57k on it but the engine was refreshed and brought up to current specs at 46k.  Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It’s unusual to have oil in the coolant, but not unheard of. I’d be inclined to use a pressure testing kit on the cooling system first off.

Take it to a workshop or garage that has emmission testing equipment.   The sniffer pipe should be held just above the coolant level steam in the header tank.   Any HC reading (hydro-carbons) indicates head gasket trouble.    This needs to be done properly, the sniffer pipe end not touching the coolant with the cap off and covered with a clean rag to stop the fumes escaping (not some old cloth off the floor covered in oil and petrol fumes).    

If you have what looks like salad cream in the header tank it is most likely to be condensation.  Good luck, Roy. 

• Like 1