free hit
counters
Door lights - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi could someone please enlighten me as to how the red door lights work. I.e are they supposed to light up when the door is opened? Is it only when the lights are on or always regardless of lights. And also what could be the reason they both don’t work?. I have changed the bulbs so it’s not that. One did come on while I already had the door open but went off after a few seconds. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Door pin switches broken,  fuses, or maybe the wiring has been disconnected inside the doors :)  

Thanks Dan, ive checked the wiring and fuses etc and cant find any issues, its a weird one. im not really sure how to check the switch but it looks ok and the wiring is still intact......strange theyre both not working.....

mmmmm

Hi,

Dont know if its any help but IIRC, you open one door and all 3 lights come on - both door lights and the interior light. So they must be all on the same loop. (wiring diagrams out in the garage atm) DO you have one of these - in the workshop manual.

I would check the interior bulb  - does it light on opening the doors?

On our Stevens car, the door lights (both sides) come on when the doors are opened, even if the overhead light is in the OFF position.

They turn off after a delay (again, whether the center light is on or switched off).

If your G car has the yellow light delay module, it might be wanky.  <--- technical term

Attached is a locator diagram from an '86 DOM service manual...indeed, it shows a module.

PS: Again on our Stevens car, the yellow delay module was a bit eccentric, wouldn't turn on the door lights.  Replaced the door bulbs with LEDs and it worked after that..except if the overhead (incandescent) lamp was OFF, the LEDs would glow very dimly FOREVER. 😵 :scared:  Never affected the battery tho'.

Capture.JPG

Very strange Brett for both door pin switches to go, but to check either use a multi meter to continuety test it or a little test rig using a 12v battery, some wire and a bulb.

When the switch is pushed in i.e the current will not pass through the switch, when it is open the current travels, it is just a simple on/off switch.

Pain in the backside crawling under the dash, but you can always try and chase the wires back from the doors to see what is going on also  :)

Thanks folks, i shall have a look on Monday Morning. Im going to leave it tomorrow, the weathers not looking to good!

It appears the door switches just ground the delay, which has power coming from two locations.

Also, once it's working, Inoticed on  my '85 turbo that the light delay unit (yellow, behind the glovebox) would not turn off at all with normal LEDs in the doors and interior light fixture. I found ones that drew more current and the delay unit started to work properly. It needs a load.

LightDelay.jpg