free hit
counters
Buzzing from rear of binnacle - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Lotus Elite 1975 LHD

When I switch on the position lights, there is a buzzing sound comming from the rear of the instrument binnacle. It disappears again, when switching on the headlights.

What is causing this?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Trapped bee that is getting angrier every time he/she gets an electric shock from you mucking about with the lights? 🐝

• Haha 1

OK - I got the bee out, but the buzzing problem remains - any suggestions?

• Haha 1

And you thought there was only one huh? 🐝

It might be the voltage stabiliser. On mine this is a small metal box that is attached to one of the instruments.

Hi had the same issue when I was restoring my S1 Eclat the buzzing was from the voltage stabiliser it provides the exciter circuit to the alternator so if you have low or no charge from start up this is probably the culprit.It is the small metal box attached to rear of binnacle .Cleaning the terminals fixed mine .Incidently the same part goes in a Rolls Royce ||||

There are two versions of voltage stabilisers, one is a small rectangular silver box like thing that lives at the rear of the instrument binnacle, this is a bimetal strip device and is most unlikely to make a bussing noise as its very slow to operate, it provides stable volts for the instruments and associated lights. Second one is a lot larger and is more cube like in appearance, cube is actually a relay to switch in and out the resistive circuit, it has a large smoothing capacitor attached to it and is located roughly in the middle of the car behind the central switch panel, this provides a stabilised voltage to the clock only. I have both types fitted to my éclat. but only one in both Elites. I think it depends on the type of clock in the car as to whether you need both.

Hope this helps, John

Solved. The previous owner had installed a buzzer to remember to turn off the lights. Silly me.

• Haha 1

So I was sort of right? It was a mechanical bee. 🐝