free hit
counters
Help with headlight problem...'81 Turbo - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Steve4012

Help with headlight problem...'81 Turbo

Hi all, I have a strange problem with my headlights whereas on dip beam all four headlights are on and main beam as well. On main beam (stalk clicked forward) and on the pull for headlight flash I only have one light on each side, one inner and one outer! I've swapped out the relays under the dash but still the same. I've cleaned the connections on the stalk as best I can but I have a feeling this may be my problem. Can anyone help with this please? Pic: main beam on with stalk pushed fully forward. 

Thanks in advance, Steve. 

20180921_160501.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Update: it's not the light switch on the instrument cluster as have just swapped this over with my other car and it's still the same.

Has it just started?  I'd be looking ar the connecters on the back of the bulbs themselves.  i.e. are they transposed

Edited by 910Esprit

It was like it when I bought it but after a major mechanical refurb now finished I'm now getting down to the snagging list! Thanks Steve, after a lot of faffing swapping switches today I'll check the lights and connections themselves tomorrow.

I’d guess them lights have been put in the wrong way round 

3 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

I’d guess them lights have been put in the wrong way round 

No... they're definitely pointing in the right direction :sofa:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes just change the connectors round :)

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies to this gents and is now fixed. Found a broken earth spade connection at the bottom of a relay block. Impossible to see but a slight pull on the wires and found this wasn't attached. New connection and all perfect. I also have the four headlamps lit on dip beam which threw me a bit as well as I thought this was a fault but obviously not. 

Early cars indeed have all four on dipped beam until legislation was introduced to prevent this. Mine (81 S3) has all four on dipped beam.

Its always a Stoopid earth connection.......grrr