free hit
counters
Dealer relationship - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Dobbin145

Dealer relationship

You would think that buying two new cars from different Lotus dealers over the last few years, along with the return trips for servicing etc would be a good foundation for a constructive customer - dealer relationship with each one. Wrong, in fact building a relationship with a Lotus dealer seems to be harder than I expects.....except one.....Hofmanns. Chris M is an absolute star. He very kindly took ownership of a minor technical issue I experienced earlier this week. Talked me through the problem and possible solutions etc. All this from a dealer that didn't even supply me the car! From previous experience I'm not sure that some sales people at other dealers even know where the workshop is, let alone know how to walk a customer through a collection of fault codes like Chris did! For the first time in a long time I'm looking forward to spending my hard earned cash with a company that cares about it's customers.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Aye, Hofmann's are great. Always fantastic service and a pleasure to deal with. Chris is good at cooking the odd sausage too. :yes:

Top tip, if you need a service just book the day off and go for a wander around Henley and up and down the Thames, very civilised - my wife even accompanies me.

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Yes, the cafe at the rowing museum is pretty good. In Henly in general though you do have time it right to avoid the queues of 'mummies' buying babyccinos and anticlockwise rotated soya based choco mocha skinny lattes with extra sprinkles!! There also seemed to be quite a few nail bars!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Dobbin145 said:

In Henly in general though you do have time it right so you are behind the ‘yummy mummies' in the queue buying babyccinos and anticlockwise rotated soya based choco mocha skinny lattes with extra sprinkles!! 

There, FTFY :whistle:

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

Yup @Chris Marriott Hofmann's Is one of the good eggs.

• Like 1

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Problem is as in my company as an engineer im told that the salesman don't need to know the product and so I have to go with them now in case the prospective customer asks a question more searching than what colours do you do.

And the management have finally realised that some customers are very clued up indeed and we have lost some big orders as the sales person has been talking a load of sh1t and funny enough that when your usually spending a minimum of 100k plus it is very damaging to the customer relationship.

Most customers in my experience as long as they can levee you with the problem and you sort it with minimal fuss you on to a winner Quality is remembered long after cost is forgotten.  

I agree the relationship building side is ace, I have a wonderful relationship with Martin Pitt. If only the engineers could solve the problems at the first time of asking it would be a winning formula! 

Agree fully on quality. Just picked up car from warranty work to get it home to find it now has a problem that was not there before.  They had to loosen/remove the front clam and on way home noticed the front hatch cover was not fully down and moving from side to side, got home, pressed it and it was rocking badly from side to side. Went in to the cabin to pull the lever to release it and the lever is not connected to anything.

Also asked them to complete the entry for first service in service book and nope, that's not been done.

No big deal really, just a huge freakin' pain the arse as it is a 120 mile round trip to the dealer and I work away from home during the week. Fooking great. You can imagine how I am overflowing with good will and confidence in their workmanship especially as I was about to give them £1200 for 3 years servicing up front!

Argh. This is not rocket science.....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

yes that would defiantly wind me up

asked a Lotus dealer to change the gearbox oil whilst having the oil cooler pipe recall done  specifically asked to change to Red Line MT90 even said I would supply it no problems I was told we know all about that oil.

Picked the car up asked had they changed the oil to MT yes got home looked at the work sheet and all it said was gearbox oil changed.

Decided to drain the gearbox oil myself and yes it was changed but only normal EP90 now my way of thinking is if they didn't have any in stock ring me and let me decide and I would have said don't bother

Have I complained what's the point

Have I used them again certainly not  

Pretty poor @C8RKH - it might be worth writing to Lotus about it though - if only to give feedback - you would think that Geely would be keen to stop this kind of thing happening 

Have had great experiences with both Hanger 111 and Lotus back on track in Guilford you can talk to the Eng. whose doing the work and they tell it how it is no sugar coating and honest opinions.

when looking for my radiator replacement spoke to Marianne at Hanger and when arrived all 4 variants were on the bench for me to look at would you have got that at a Lotus Dealer no way.

So I would defiantly go independent once the warranty's ended   

• Like 1

Another recommendation for Hangar 111 always helpful and great service. Now a lotus approved service centre so i think they can do warranty work too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, philcool said:

So I would defiantly go independent once the warranty's ended   

You can be even more defiant and go Independent in Warranty to. As long as they use OEM parts and materials and follow the service schedule your warranty is unaffected. Though I understand why people go with the Dealer whilst in warranty.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

@C8RKH thats just awkward and very embarrassing for the dealer. 

About time HQ start sending follow up emails to check on dealers. BMW U.K. do this, voluntary of course.. If you’ve had an issue they’ll grill them and make sure you’re sorted out!! You don’t do the chasing they do. Performance Bonuses etc depend on good customer service/experience... 

Its an obvious thing for Geely to implement.

I feel agitated just reading your post... ffs, why don’t people check the car before handing it back?!🤬

And there was me thinking this thread was about something completely different

Only here once

When I was washing cars at a dealership here in Geelong, I washed a Holden that was used by the CFA (Country Fire Authority). Anyway, the protocol when you are reversing out of a building on the site is to beep the horn twice. No horn. Tried two more times. No horn.

Went in and told the service manager. Car had just been serviced (fleet car) and reversed out of the service garage on the dealership. So either the mechanics don't follow site protocol or it didn't work for them either and they just didn't care.

As @auRouge said, why can't people just check things. Car was in for another four days to diagnose and correct the horn.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

12 hours ago, auRouge said:

@C8RKH thats just awkward and very embarrassing for the dealer. 

About time HQ start sending follow up emails to check on dealers. BMW U.K. do this, voluntary of course.. If you’ve had an issue they’ll grill them and make sure you’re sorted out!! You don’t do the chasing they do. Performance Bonuses etc depend on good customer service/experience... 

Its an obvious thing for Geely to implement.

I feel agitated just reading your post... ffs, why don’t people check the car before handing it back?!🤬

I've calmed down after a nights sleep. My car needed a new front windscreen as despite it being a new car registered in April '18, it was built in 2017 and the base of the windscreen had started to delaminate.  Lotus agreed it was a warranty claim and it took a few weeks to get all the parts etc. together to get the job done. To do it properly on the Evora I believe it needs the front clam off, so It's a pretty big job. I'm assuming to take the clam off, or maybe just to do the job, you need to take the front access hatch off (otherwise the windscreen wiper is in the way anyway). So when it was put back together it looks like there was an issue.  Cannot think what else it would be to cause the issue as I've had no reason to open the front access hatch since I've owned the car (I rarely use the windscreen washer as I carry windscreen cleaner and clothes in the boot and generally clean the windscreen by hand - I know, a bit obsessive but I like a clean windscreen and not a smeared one). So either way it will be another dealer fix/warranty issue and nothing really to do with Lotus.

The only thing that really pisses me off, is that like many owners, I am some distance from a Dealer so to fix these "little things" (hatch and service book being stamped) is a 110-120 mile round trip and needs at least a day as I work away. It's the inconvenience factor and it will be around 2 months before i can get back to the dealer as they don't work weekends in the workshop which just makes it so bloody hard for owners who are busy working during the week. FFS, even Kwik Fit is open every Saturday and Sunday from around 0800 until 1600/1800 and they are always busy. It's about time the Dealers took note of what is going on around them and moved their quite frankly 1970's operating practices with the times.

I do wonder if the issue is that in general the dealers are run by people who have only ever worked for dealers and just do not see the reason to change.  Maybe they need more genes into the resource pool to really start to shake things up.

Just been out to the garage to put the car cover on as I am away for the next few weeks with work and it protects the car from any scrapes from the wife and grown up kids doing what they do in my garage! Which includes playing table tennis and storing their bikes etc.

Whilst putting it on noticed a crack in the passenger a pillar cover and that the sealant/foam that seals the A pillar covers to the windscreen is ripped and uneven all the way down on both sides.  I have no fooking clue how any professional would view handing the car back like that as acceptable. It's almost as if the attitude is "ah well, they probably won't notice it so its all good".

Just making a pot of tea to sit in the sun and contemplate why we should have to accept stuff like this. There seems to be no pride in doing the job well and getting it right first time anymore.

Wind 1.jpg

Wind2.jpg

What do you think that has now done to the relationship I might have with my dealer? They had the car for 4 days so should not have needed to rush.

• Sad 1

Andy id be fuming m8....   feel for ya...

i get this all this all the time. from manufactures and contractors..  its like you have to baby sit  and pre empt stupidity like this.. it smacks of incompetence .... 

people that do that sort of service should't be offering a service at all  to be honest..  if it were my company i would be terminating someones employment.. 

iv sacked people for lesser items... attention to detail is everything. 

sadly lacking in todays society.....   

i thank my lucky stars im so close to hanger 111..  these boys know how to treat cars and customers properly...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

To do it properly on the Evora I believe it needs the front clam off, so It's a pretty big job.

Changing the windscreen IS NOT a ‘clam off’ job. At least, it wasn’t when Silverstone changed the windscreen on my Evora a few months ago. 

@Bravo73 I said "I believe" so not a defacto statement of fact. I actually did a search on here and the clam off comment came from this thread.

Irrespectively, the fact is the front hatch is not right and it was fine when it went in. Thanks.

Actually just found and read Lotus Service notes. Seems it depends on removal method as to whether you need to loosen the front clam. Wire to cut it out then no. Vibrating knife then yes.

@C8RKH my car has been damaged every single time they have had it, they even managed to pop a screw through the inside of the door creating a bump on the outside meaning it had to go through full body work and respray, my steering column was handed back hanging off after they had to replace my steering rack under warranty, I could go on and on and on....

23 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I've calmed down after a nights sleep. My car needed a new front windscreen as despite it being a new car registered in April '18, it was built in 2017 and the base of the windscreen had started to delaminate.  Lotus agreed it was a warranty claim and it took a few weeks to get all the parts etc. together to get the job done. To do it properly on the Evora I believe it needs the front clam off, so It's a pretty big job. I'm assuming to take the clam off, or maybe just to do the job, you need to take the front access hatch off (otherwise the windscreen wiper is in the way anyway). So when it was put back together it looks like there was an issue.  Cannot think what else it would be to cause the issue as I've had no reason to open the front access hatch since I've owned the car (I rarely use the windscreen washer as I carry windscreen cleaner and clothes in the boot and generally clean the windscreen by hand - I know, a bit obsessive but I like a clean windscreen and not a smeared one). So either way it will be another dealer fix/warranty issue and nothing really to do with Lotus.

The only thing that really pisses me off, is that like many owners, I am some distance from a Dealer so to fix these "little things" (hatch and service book being stamped) is a 110-120 mile round trip and needs at least a day as I work away. It's the inconvenience factor and it will be around 2 months before i can get back to the dealer as they don't work weekends in the workshop which just makes it so bloody hard for owners who are busy working during the week. FFS, even Kwik Fit is open every Saturday and Sunday from around 0800 until 1600/1800 and they are always busy. It's about time the Dealers took note of what is going on around them and moved their quite frankly 1970's operating practices with the times.

I do wonder if the issue is that in general the dealers are run by people who have only ever worked for dealers and just do not see the reason to change.  Maybe they need more genes into the resource pool to really start to shake things up.

Sounds frustrating. Just a quick clear up though... This car has never been to Hofmann's - not saying we don't have our issues but this isn't one of them!

In fairness to the dealer who did do that job, windscreen's on Evora are a bad design and they wouldn't have done that job themselves, it would have been outsourced.  Those plastic trim pieces are bonded to the screen with double sided tape and then bolted to the A pillar.  The fit is generally bad and what has probably happened with yours is that its been taped down, then bolted and then the tape has slowly peeled back, twisting as its done so.  The fitter should have taken more time and care and the the dealer should have noticed before handover.

If you're selling 100 cars a month I can see the reasoning for opening on a Sunday but given the numbers involved in running a Lotus dealership it doesn't really stack up sadly.