free hit
counters
Intermittent Electrical Issue - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Has anyone had an issue with their wipers and blower/AC not working following startup?  It has happened a few times on my car now, but a restart seems to fix it.  There does not seem to be any particular pattern as to when it happens, sometimes it's a cold start, sometimes the car has been driven.  The battery is in a healthy state of charge and other electrics such as lights work 100%.

The car is booked in for its run in service in a weeks time and this is on the list to be looked at, but the service manager said it's the first time he's heard of such an issue.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

No idea about the wiper, but fan needs to be on before AC will start, well on mine anyway.

cheers

Likewise on mine for the AC, but the fan and the wiper sometimes do not work from starting the car.  If they work immediately, then they keep working throughout a journey.

Just a heads up why the fan needs to be on for the A/C to run because if you run the A/C compressor without any airflow across the Evaporator the liquid refrigerant supplied to it for cooling will not change state into a vapour and stay as a liquid and eventually return to the compressor and you cannot compress a liquid and bang goes the compressor usually with the electro mechanical clutch and the auxiliary drive belt as well.

I know that's not the original question but sometimes it helps  to know why certain interlocks are in place on cars.

But as for the wipers not working I've yet to see that connected to the A/C or fan but am always willing to be proved wrong.  

Thanks, Phil.  That makes sense regarding the fan and AC.

I guess there's some electrical system initialisation that sometimes fails to happen when the ignition is switched on, hopefully, it can be diagnosed and fixed next week when it's in for the 1st service.  In the meantime, I just switch the fan on to the first setting to see if it's behaving when I start the car.