free hit
counters
no clicking from fuel pump, no start - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
tom kilner

no clicking from fuel pump, no start

I thought I'd fire up the elite today before starting some major work - usually I turn on the ignition and listen to a trust clicking from the fuel pump. This seems to stop after a while,  so then I press the gas a couple of times and crank the engine,  and off it goes.

I was guessing the petrol in the dellortos needs some back pressure to get the mixture right for starting.

No clicking today,  and no firing.

But it was cold and the battery didn't sound too strong.

Is there an obvious way to test the fuel pump that doesn't involve setting yourself on fire?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My Esprit occasionally does this after a long period of rest. The fuel in the Dellortos must evaporate as it usually takes lots of clicks to fill them.

Sometimes it takes a light tap from a small hammer on the pump body but last time, all I did was go to the side of the car, rest on it to  lean down and away it went.

I would top up the battery, check no wires have come away from the pump, ignition to the 'priming' position and tap away. 

Your could also put a multimeter across the pump to check power is reaching it.

Thanks that makes sense. The alternative is that the carbs were still full so no pumping and I flooded the engine so no starting.

I'll try again and check voltage

Tom,

If its not clicking its not pumping, the floats stop the carbs flooding. would guess that, as Simon said, its the pump just stuck up give it a light tap at the diaphragm end of the pump, if you got volts at the pump you could also clean the points. they operate due to the pressure differential either side of the diaphragm, which in turn is controlled by the inlet and outlet valves of the pump, its one of these valves that normally stick and prevent the pump working. I've had the problem on all three of my cars. You need to drive / start them regularly to stop them gumming up.

Plus do all the normal bits, charge battery, make sure you got volts, coil still works etc.

Regards to all. John

• Like 1

Thanks guys - I cleaned up the connectors and bashed it a bit and the pump staggered into life. Followed by the engine!

If I were offered this pump on the street though I'd statt backing away so rather than trying to get it working on a full-time basis I'll put it in the box with all the other "original" parts I neither need nor want and fit the previously suggested model

2018-09-27 13.08.37.jpg

Ooer, those fuel pipes look crusty and brittle:dizzy:

A bit like me (and the car).🤐

However I'm not planning on pi55ing on the exhaust pipe and going out in a ball of flames.😊

New pump, new pipes.