free hit
counters
Returning to forum....aspiring to a series 3!! - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
bigfella70

Returning to forum....aspiring to a series 3!!

Hi folks, time has flown having joined the forum in December 2014 originally looking towards a Stevens car which never happened for me and owning a couple of other classic cars in which I enjoyed but didn't really gel with I am now tentatively heading towards a series 3 Giugiaro car either N/A or Turbo although I do prefer the look of the Turbo Esprit.

i now have the luxury of a lot more time available and have refreshed my reading and reviewed with awe some of th eproject threads on this forum. Absolute respect and admiration for the workmanship and commitment that goes into these projects.

In terms of what I'm seeking, this would basically be a running, driving car with MOT which I can use straight away but improve as a long term rolling project. I have garage space, plenty of too,s and the desire to learn which I think is pretty much essential for any Esprit owner!!

Budget wise I have some flexibility with 15k as as an aspirational sparring point. I am in no rush and have lots of time to view and learn hence travelling to view not an issue when the right car appears. I'm based in Yorkshire.

Great to be back to date on the forum and look forward to more reading!!!

Best regards.

Dave

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Good luck with the search Dave,  :thumbup:

You should be able to find a fairly decent car for that type of money. 

Seem to be plenty of cars about at the moment,

Oh , and welcome back :)   

would have thought at that budget will be an n/a

Thanks gents will keep my eyes peeled and see what crops up on the market....

Hi Dave,

I went for my S3 as an NA car because of the lower complexity and cost., aiming to do the work myself and being a novice.

Having seen some early S3s vs my late (86), there are some subtle differences so if you can go later, I think it makes sense.

I never drove a turbo but I cant say I ever feel low on power. You can of course upgrade the NA engine in various ways to approach turbo bhp if thats your thing. Of even just go efi.

I agree with you that the looks are quite different - I love the louvres although hate the 'tail'.

Good luck with your search and welcome back.

Si

Hi Dave - did you buy a Rover SD1 at some point over the last few years by any chance? I’m just trying to think how I know your user name?

Edit : I’ve checked the SD1 forum and turns out (if I’ve got my Bigfella70 Dave’s in order) that you did have an SD1 which I’ve attached below. I had a red TP Vitesse as well as many other Vitesse models over many years - loved them👌

Welcome and best of luck finding an Esprit - they’re very special cars but not without their problems, much like the SD1 - without the rust issues😉

9A4F6F5F-8ABA-46CB-965D-8D7F7502D75C.jpeg

Thanks Simon that's good to know. I do like the look of the turbo but could live without the additional performance (and complexity)!

Stephen, hi there yes I sold my 3500 manual SD1 about two and a half years ago and still visit the club forum from time to time. I did consider a Vitesse but to be realistic I would like something different and would love an Esprit. I remember your post re the superb Esprit you sourced after moving on from your Vitesse!

Thought it was you. Yeah I got lucky with that one.........but it did take 4 years of trying to get the owner to part with it - got there in the end though😰

You’ll find one. Prices seem to have flatlined a bit lately so probably a good time to try and buy. Good luck!👍You’ll find this place a whole lot friendlier than the SD1 forum - they’re hard work over there😄

2C137065-B613-4590-B9ED-D4FE96071E76.jpeg

Good luck with the hunt. You should be able to get a project car for that cash. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292702260141

this looks a nice little buy. 

Please just remember the cost implications of “project” cars though. Suspension can swallow lots of cash. Tanks and manifold jobs can add lots of frustration

No price though Barry?🤔

Says £11995 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the pointers and advice gents. I'm leaning more towards a series 3 Giugiaro car than a Stevens.

In terms of level of work required ideally I'm looking toward a running, driving and MOT'd car rather than a non runner off the road car than can't be driven / tested. I've seen recently a couple of series 3 requiring work sell for 10k and another with MOT for just under 10k so I figured allow 15k for something a little more together.

I have to also allow some flexibility into my budget if a good car came along that was worth spending an extra couple of k on that would benefit in the long run.

Also wondered if any members in the Yorkshire area with a Giugiaro car going to any meets etc that wouldn't mind showing me their car as a learning exercise on what to look for / familiarisation etc...

If its any help, when I replaced all my suspension 'consumables', ie all bushes, springs, dampers (all standard stock from SJs) Bolts etc etc it came to nearly £1000, about 9 years ago.

A new exhaust system will set you back anywhere from 700 - 1500plus. Cant comment on typical Turbo items.

Might be good to have a browse sites like PNM, SJSportcars to get a feel for the cost of various service items etc. Bear in mind SJs prices are exVAT!!

When I bought mine, it was an MOT'd runner but still needed all fuel lines, cambelt, filters. 

Also, on digging deeper into this car, both fuel tanks needed work along with all fuel breather lines.

So, unfortunately a rolling resto car can quickly consume 2k and behave and look no different. That said, its hugely satisfying to bring these cars up to condition and I do envy your position. Also remember that a car with grotty carpets can be transformed in appearance. If you are prepared to do as much work yourself as possible, they can be restored cost effectively.

Si

Suspension bits have risen a fair bit - shocks and springs being a good example.

just the nuts and bolts come to about £300. Then allow for shockers and springs. Poly bushes will add £900 to that.

exhaust - fabricate your own - stainless is cheap as chips to buy 

tanks are £4-500 a side it seems. I had a pair of stainless ones made for a whole lot less by a tank fabrication chap

carpets - @Steve V8 is your man for them

Just a quick word to the wise.

Yes there have been a few S3's under 10k on eBay recently, most of which have been scams (Altair green as a case in point), so be careful out there. 

• Like 2