free hit
counters
Swapping rear tyres: Jacking procedure? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Cristiano

Swapping rear tyres: Jacking procedure?

Today I tried to swap rear tyres of my Exige 380 Cup. To do that I need to be able to remove both tyres at same time, at least for a couple of minutes.

I managed to lift a side of the car, however I noted that both the front and rear tyres were lifted together. This is a problem , because I cannot lift both sides together (my plan was to use two Jacks to lift rear tyres and keep front tyres on the ground).

I am sure there should be an easy way, without removing the rear pannel on the bottom to get access to the other jacking points. 

Could you please help? Unfortunately I do not have another set of tyres to use as temporary replacement for the swap

I also have a couple of standing jacks.. but not sure how to use them.

Thanks!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There is a way but you need to do it with care and by no means am I liable if it goes wrong!

You can lift the car from the rear, placing the jack centrally (in line with the exhaust), your jack point is the beam just before the fixings of the rear diffuser.

Ill try and take a pic to best explain. I’ve done this a number of times for the same reasons as you.

Here you go ... jack at this point (red) as bolts into chassis... do NOT jack further back on the diffuser! Again do at your own risk and own research... I’m not being liable if goes wrong or if this advise is in any way incorrect or bears any risk of danger!

I use a bar the width of the car to balance the lift. I then put jack stands under the bar for extra safety.7F9A237F-106D-4C5E-8B4B-51D16D800F2D.thumb.jpeg.4560d3299147039209b1a8b63a3338ca.jpeg

Have you got a spare wheel? Lift one side. Wheel off. Spare on. Lower car. Move wheel to other side. Jack up and wheel off and wheel on. Back to original side. Jack up. Spare off. Wheel on. Lower car. Done.

5 hours ago, ramjet said:

Have you got a spare wheel? Lift one side. Wheel off. Spare on. Lower car. Move wheel to other side. Jack up and wheel off and wheel on. Back to original side. Jack up. Spare off. Wheel on. Lower car. Done.

I have a spare wheel from my Audi, but I am not sure it fits on the Lotus. I think it is 5x112, while lotus is 5x120?

On 27/09/2018 at 21:26, alias23 said:

Here you go ... jack at this point (red) as bolts into chassis... do NOT jack further back on the diffuser! Again do at your own risk and own research... I’m not being liable if goes wrong or if this advise is in any way incorrect or bears any risk of danger!

I use a bar the width of the car to balance the lift. I then put jack stands under the bar for extra safety.7F9A237F-106D-4C5E-8B4B-51D16D800F2D.thumb.jpeg.4560d3299147039209b1a8b63a3338ca.jpeg

Thank you. I will have a look but doesn't look very safe.. risk of braking something is high.

Edited by Cristiano

I meant a spare wheel that fits the Exige. I don't know if they come with one?

There is a ‘knack’ to it for sure, to be honest best shown in person as I was by a Lotus race chap.

7 minutes ago, alias23 said:

There is a ‘knack’ to it for sure, to be honest best shown in person as I was by a Lotus race chap.

And you refer to the latest model, right? Because I know on the S2 there was a tool (a sort of horizontal bar) to do that, but on the S3 that is not working any more.

Correct horizontal bar (I use wood) similar technique to the S2 correct. You just need to ensure lifting on the correct area. Once up I then use jacks under the bar/wood as a precaution whilst I quickly do the swap.