free hit
counters
Short Rear Plate - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Anyone done anything interesting with a shorter rear number plate?

The standard plinth reduces options. A shorter plate would obviously not look right. At the moment I have a full width plate, and to be honest it looks perfectly fine. Can't help thinking about a how to fit a cut down plate though.

I've heard of removing the rear number plate plinth but never seen an example that doesn't have  more extreme mods to the rear transom as well. 

I'm interested in what others have done 👍

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Here’s the front plinth cut down - looks so much better when you’re using a short plate👍

45B65C9C-885C-4945-AFDB-7267D22B73BB.jpeg

6C84A46B-11C2-4B37-AEDD-82A15C6F51FF.jpeg

I don’t have the plinth on my 380 so can’t help you there.

6C826BFB-C1B5-4E82-87EF-D64AD26BC52C.jpeg

Thanks Stephen, done the front already (there's another thread on that) and you have the later model rear transom which doesn't have a specific holder for the plate. I'll find a picture to show you what I mean. 

The earlier rear presents a challenge for shorter plates.

It appears from deroure that the plate holder is only stuck on with double sided sticky. Has anyone been brave enough to remove it?

7A415B8C-E6B8-4C47-8C67-555B1227E73F.jpeg

Yeah I know what you mean about the rear plinth - I had this on my Sport 350 pictured.

Would take a brave man to take the plinth off even if just held on with tape - led expect it might leave an outline..... unless the car has been hidden from light etc - good luck👍

F7A63AB8-A386-4181-A1B1-B9AA88548EE8.jpeg

• Like 1

Funny, I hadn't thought about the Matt paint fading in the sun. I'm game for removing if it can be done without damaging the paint surface or the plinth. It could always be re affixed if it could. I'm just not game to do it first 😉😂

• Haha 1

Plinth comes off OK with patience and steady pressure.

A full size legal plate doesn’t quite fit neatly so I had to shrink by about 10%. 😉

Left a bit more than necessary either side as it looks a bit less “non-standard”.

4764BD52-B4BC-4682-98D7-21B2B5CA3259.thumb.jpeg.060b366915bedd41a445090aed8998d5.jpeg

Is it sticky taped or ‘glued’ on that’s always been my worry

On 25/09/2018 at 18:47, KJD said:

Plinth comes off OK with patience and steady pressure.

A full size legal plate doesn’t quite fit neatly so I had to shrink by about 10%. 😉

Left a bit more than necessary either side as it looks a bit less “non-standard”.

Nice one. How did you go about it? Did you use a fishing line or just brute force?

Edited by Sharky

Three strips of double sided tape.

IIRC, I just used my fingers. Lift with some steady pressure and the tape gradually comes unstuck.

Careful the last corner doesn’t dig in as you get to the end!

Not sure if my matt paint made it any easier.

• Like 1

Looks good and you’re right about it making the rear end look wider - thought that too👏🏻👍

3DB3CD22-84CE-4FB9-AADA-3A06D8AA8447.jpeg

• Like 2

Surprised Lotus haven't got rid of the plate holder as it seems to fulfil no real purpose and adds weight!?

Martin S

2 hours ago, MARTIN_S said:

Surprised Lotus haven't got rid of the plate holder as it seems to fulfil no real purpose and adds weight!?

Martin S

I think it’s just the standard rear plate is a bit too big for the cut out, so they need to supply somewhere to fit it for homologation purposes and it doesn’t justify a new clam. Saying that they had the chance with the launch of the 380