free hit
counters
removing rounded off allen key bolts - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
andyj007

removing rounded off allen key bolts

Wanted to remove my rear undertray, 1 to give it a good clean under & b to fit a 3rd cat delete pipe..  fumbling around without my glasses I  slotted the wrong allen key into the head .5mm too small and  managed to round one off..  

has anyone tried these? i know there for the torx but i theroy should work same..  drill  hole to suit, wind in the extracto  anti clockwise until it bites and holefully should release?

thoughts?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Before attempting any extraction tool, use lots of penetrating oil or anything else that could possibly help to ease them, reason being that the extractors are generally not as capable as the original method so you need to remove as much resistance as possible.

• Like 1

The best way I’ve found is to slot the bolt head with a hacksaw blade or a Drexel and use a flathead screwdriver bit in a 1/4 “ socket to remove it. As Andy said, use loads of plusgas first and wait hours for it to go in before attempting to remove it.

It’s a technique that’s never failed on my ‘68 Alpine...

• Like 1

^^ 👍

• Like 1

Use a proper set of allen keys first imo !    As the cheap ones are never the correct size and round off  the damn things.  

Use a torque bit i.e the multi splinned socket type ones to tap in with a hammer, has always worked for me.

I usually use the slightly oversized Torx-bit / gentle-hammering technique as my first approach too.

And then resort to smacking a torx bit in with a big hammer and whacking the impact driver on it

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

And then resort to smacking a torx bit in with a big hammer and whacking the impact driver on it

That sounds about right!    🤣

Seriously - if you’ve tried the nicey nicey gentle approach and that hasn’t worked - then beating the shit out of it is the next stage

cant smack  the hell out of it as it hods the diffuser on, its not rigid enough to take the hit..

going to try teh extractor tool on one.

failing that will drill them out then get a pair of grips left on the stub after tray removed and force it undone.  cant beat a nice stainless bolt