free hit
counters
Crown wheel thrust washer orientation? - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
cweeden

Crown wheel thrust washer orientation?

Hi All,

I’m struggling to remove the old output shaft oil seals to allow for replacements. I have the passenger side out using a puller but the drivers side refuses to budge. To help I have removed the crown wheel preload ‘nut’ which houses the seal and will tackle it on the bench. However in my haste while the housing was out I removed the thrust washer from it and neglected to make a note of it’s orientation. The washer has a small lip on one side, should that face away from the ‘nut’ or press up against it. 

I’ll take a photo when I get home later if necessary. 

Thanks

-Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

All I can saw is it needs to be fitted correctly - or you end up with a CWP set like the one in my scrap pile.

@Blackngolds3turbo - you’ve just done yours - any idea

Thanks Barry, I think I know the correct way round it should go but as you say it's pretty critical hence the need to double check.

It just occurred to me that I have a spare gearbox buried under a bench, I will pull that out and compare. 🙂

cheers

-Chris

18 hours ago, cweeden said:

To help I have removed the crown wheel preload ‘nut’ which houses the seal and will tackle it on the bench.

When you replace the "nut" make sure the threads are well coated with sealant or you'll have oil leaking past them. :thumbdown:

18 hours ago, cweeden said:

Thanks Barry, I think I know the correct way round it should go but as you say it's pretty critical hence the need to double check.

It just occurred to me that I have a spare gearbox buried under a bench, I will pull that out and compare. 🙂

cheers

-Chris

good-provided that one is correctly positioned....

I checked out the spare gearbox and it was positioned as I suspected as shown below, this gave me the level of confidence I needed.

Here is the spare 'nut' with the bearing shield (not a thrust washer at all) installed.

IMG_4167.thumb.JPG.403f853aee491ce0cf528652b22d5afc.JPG

And here you can see the orientation of the shield demonstrated with the one I took out too quickly.

IMG_4170.thumb.JPG.9063ad47862b0c99ea0372ae14b1b625.JPG

Thanks for the help, hope to see some of you at the weekend.

cheers

-Chris

• Like 1