free hit
counters
Double clutching to select 2nd gear - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
hspeck

Double clutching to select 2nd gear

After many months in the shop, my Esprit is finally out.

However, I realized that it is very difficult to select the 2nd gear, whether from 1st to 2nd or when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd.

I have to double clutch to select the 2nd gear smoothly. I was told that some older cars are as such?

I have replaced the following when the car was in the shop:-

1. Gear change master unit overhaul kit

2. gear change translator overhaul kit

3. clutch kit

4. clutch cable

5. clutch master cylinder

6. 2nd gear

7. 1st and 2nd gear synchro ring 

Is It a norm for the Stevens Esprit, or there are some other stuffs that I may need to change?

Appreciate any thoughts on this ...

Thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That’s rubbish. Check all the linkages are tight with no play at the gearbox end. The tiniest fraction of wobble can make some gears near impossible while others are fine.

I see. I will need to take a look at my service manual ...

Thanks

This is not normal, check the clutch hydraulics have been correctly bled of air & the pedal clearance is correctly set.

With the car in gear & the clutch pedal depressed the car must roll freely so stop on a hill put it in gear & press the clutch pedal to the floor & the car should roll down the hill. :thumbup:

I had this until my gear shift was properly aligned by the maestro (Sparky) needed new bushes / adjustment etc.

32 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

That’s rubbish. Check all the linkages are tight with no play at the gearbox end. The tiniest fraction of wobble can make some gears near impossible while others are fine.

Sorry Barry, when you say the linkages are you referring to the cables?

And if that Slave cylinder has been bled on the car you might find it’s still got some air in it.

Just now, skiing said:

I had this until my gear shift was properly aligned by the maestro (Sparky) needed new bushes / adjustment etc.

Any idea what was done?

The issue is I am not very technically inclined, and we only have very few Esprit locally, and so not many workshops have the knowledge regarding Esprits.

9 minutes ago, hspeck said:

Sorry Barry, when you say the linkages are you referring to the cables?

Where the cables attach to the gearbox. Make sure all are tight with no play or wobble.

bleed the cylinder with it unbolted off the car and the nipple held uppermost 

• Love 1

As far as I remember, the linkage had a lot of play in it - the bushes where perished / bolts / nuts loose etc. the umbrella shaped part of the linkage could swing around enough to hit the rear brake disk... @sparky might be able to add more (although it was a while ago).

5 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Where the cables attach to the gearbox. Make sure all are tight with no play or wobble.

bleed the cylinder with it unbolted off the car and the nipple held uppermost 

Just don't push the clutch pedal far enough to pop the slave cylinder piston out of the cylinder or you will have another messy problem on your hands. Literally.

Thanks guys.

I will need to relay all these information to the workshop, and make sure they do it correctly this time round.... will probably have to stand and watch ...

There’s a circlip @ramjetwhich should stop that 😂

Do you know what oil has been used?  That can have a major impact on syncros, especially 2nd, which probably works the hardest  

9 hours ago, Barrykearley said:

There’s a circlip @ramjetwhich should stop that 😂

That's interesting. I can't recall a circlip on any of the ones I have done. Not just Lotus. Handy though

So.....

I spoke to the workshop owner last night. He insisted that he had no problem engaging 2nd gear when he tested the Esprit. He apparently spend 1.5 days adjusting the gear selection.

I also spoke to another guy who drove the Esprit to another workshop. He is not related to the workshop owner as far as I know.

He had difficulty selecting the 1st and 2nd gear initially. But, accord to him, he managed to figure out that he needed to push harder to the left than usual when selecting 2nd gear. He had to "push down left abit more with strength" to select the 2nd gear. And given that the gear selector is at 3rd-4th gear during neutral, I might have been doing it wrong.

The car was not with me last night. I will try again and update when I get back the car later today.

Thanks.  

1.5 days fiddling with two small links. Me thinks he’s been adjusting your pants and wallet as well 

6 hours ago, hspeck said:

But, accord to him, he managed to figure out that he needed to push harder to the left than usual when selecting 2nd gear. He had to "push down left abit more with strength" to select the 2nd gear. And given that the gear selector is at 3rd-4th gear during neutral, I might have been doing it wrong.

No force should be required, when set correctly it's a very light push. :thumbdown:

• Like 1

I see ...

I will probably need to speak to another workshop then...  or at least find a place to raise the car up and take a look at the gear box linkages ...

will update again

thanks guys

can I know if the picture attached is for the 1990 Stevens also? Found it on LEW.

gearshift_diagram.jpg

2 hours ago, hspeck said:

Or this?

Which I saw on the service notes.

That is for a Citroen box.   Presumably yours in Renault

In my Renault 'boxed '90 N/A second does need a slight move to the left as well as back. There's no crunch but if you're lazy/forgetful and just pull the stick back you can sometimes hit the gate between 2nd/4th the first time. I'm not saying mine is perfectly adjusted but getting 2nd isn't a problem as long as you direct the stick to the right place!

2 hours ago, fflyingdog said:

I always blip the throttle when changing down from 3rd to 2nd makes for a much smoother crunch free down change .

It definitely will help if rev matches

1 hour ago, 910Esprit said:

That is for a Citroen box.   Presumably yours in Renault

Thanks. So it should be the 2 cables then. I will know when i get back my car tomorrow and take a look at the selector.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, eeyoreish said:

In my Renault 'boxed '90 N/A second does need a slight move to the left as well as back. There's no crunch but if you're lazy/forgetful and just pull the stick back you can sometimes hit the gate between 2nd/4th the first time. I'm not saying mine is perfectly adjusted but getting 2nd isn't a problem as long as you direct the stick to the right place!

Mine is not a mere soft push, but a rather hard push is needed.

Having said that, I had no problem selecting the 2nd gear if i simply double declutched... But obviously that shouldnt be the case...