free hit
counters
Double clutching to select 2nd gear - Page 2 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
hspeck

Double clutching to select 2nd gear

Finally had time to send the car to the workshop.

I was told that they did follow the adjustment as per the service notes I provided. They are suggesting that it may be due to the gear change cable being too old and might have affected the gear change mechanism.

Fortunately there was another Esprit there and they were able to compare the difference. The other car's gear change was much easier, lighter and smoother, so they know there is something amiss with my gear changes ...

Hopefully it is not due to the gear change cable, as it looks like a real PITA to replace ...

20181005_125459_resized.jpg

IMG-20181003-WA0031_resized.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Checking whether the cables move freely is easy when the boot floor is out like you have it, simply disconnect the cables from the translator. TBH, I would have thought that they would have done that when they were doing the cable adjustment.

Does that shaft look strange or is it just me?

Hang on - isn’t that the other side of the gearbox to us uk guys ?? Surely the diagonal should be the opposite of the uk setup?? 

2 hours ago, hspeck said:

I was told that they did follow the adjustment as per the service notes I provided. They are suggesting that it may be due to the gear change cable being too old and might have affected the gear change mechanism.

Fortunately there was another Esprit there and they were able to compare the difference. The other car's gear change was much easier, lighter and smoother, so they know there is something amiss with my gear changes ...

Hopefully it is not due to the gear change cable, as it looks like a real PITA to replace ...

Assuming that view is looking downwards, and that the gearchange is opposite that of a RHD car, I think your translator may be 180 degrees out. You might also want to check the clearance between the translator body and the tie rod when it's being put though the gearchange motions, too. They shouldn't foul each other.

Is the cable on the right correctly seated in the housing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muttley said:

Is the cable on the right correctly seated in the housing?

Doesn’t look like it is to me. It looks as though it's not in the cable end groove. And the retaining plate is round the wrong way. According to the parts manual, the lip should be at the front, not the rear. Not sure what difference that makes, but there you go.

Correct all those issues first, and then have another go at setting it up. With luck that will solve the problem.

The gearlinkage is the same for RHD or LDH.

Good spot of the cable not properly seating, that can't help things.

• Like 2

If we're stood at the rear of the car looking down, the translator is on the same left side as on my 90 N/A.

The problem here is simply as Ian said, that the short tie rod should be connected to the translator at the back, not the front?? As below... 

I made the same rookie error after I changed my clutch and couldn't get half the gears!

IMG_0972.JPG.95b8bb08e7003ca4ed15847e275f7ad2.JPG

50 minutes ago, eeyoreish said:

If we're stood at the rear of the car looking down, the translator is on the same left side as on my 90 N/A.

The problem here is simply as Ian said, that the short tie rod should be connected to the translator at the back, not the front?? As below... 

I made the same rookie error after I changed my clutch and couldn't get half the gears!

I also cocked mine up the first time I refitted it. The tie rod just didn’t look like it should go where it does, and I ended up bolting it underneath the loctating bracket, instead of above. I realised the mistake, but took it me a while to realise what I’d done.

10 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

Mine is a RHD. I am assuming the pic above is for the RHD too?

If it is then it is wrong. I have asked them to open up the other esprit to check.

Thanks

apparent the rubber bushes at the gear change unit is also worn ...

However I can't seem to find the part numbers... any ideas where I can get replacements ?

Thanks.

IMG-20181006-WA0042_resized.jpg

IMG-20181006-WA0043_resized.jpg

It does not matter which side the steering wheel is, the gear change mechanism is the same regardless.

In the gear lever master unit repair kit Lotus make (part no. A082F4208J) the isolator bush part number A082F6591S. No idea if it is the same bush as originally fitted.

You need to resolve that cable retaining issue and relocate the tie rod as mentioned above. 

The slight wear at the gear stick end is what I suspect we have all got and not many folks on here rebuild that to solve selection problems.

So, Derek has now confirmed the translator is on the correct side, but the aforementioned problems still need to be sorted.

I know PNM supplies a master gear change bush overhaul kit, I bought one from them, and maybe SJ, too. They’re not too bad to fit, and clearly yours are utterly knackered!

The translator in the correct position now.. The first time he did this the reverse gear became on the right. So i told him to check the movement of the cables and identify the correct cables.

Not it seems to be right, but can only test again aftrr he refit the gear shit unit...

In the mean time i will need to contact SJ or PNM for the bushes...

IMG-20181006-WA0066.jpg

That looks a bit more like it!

After you've done the bushes, from memory, when setting it all up, the bottom of the translator is tilted slightly forwards, with the gear lever tilted slightly rearwards. Also, check to make sure the rod ends don't foul the translator body when it's changing gear.

When the translator is fitted to the left side of the gearbox the cables cross over each other, i.e. the right hand cable at the gear lever master unit is fitted to the left hand side of the translator.

2 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

That looks a bit more like it!

After you've done the bushes, from memory, when setting it all up, the bottom of the translator is tilted slightly forwards, with the gear lever tilted slightly rearwards. Also, check to make sure the rod ends don't foul the translator body when it's changing gear.

Yes... It has to be offset 4mm.. 

Will remind them to check the rod ends

1 hour ago, sailorbob said:

When the translator is fitted to the left side of the gearbox the cables cross over each other, i.e. the right hand cable at the gear lever master unit is fitted to the left hand side of the translator.

Yup.. They did not realise that until i asked them to take note of the cables while trying to shift the gear shift...

On 05/10/2018 at 09:52, hspeck said:

I’d make sure you change that hex head bolt on the gearbox pushing the gearchange cable for the correct domehead one it’s meant to be.. it’s pushing the cable onto an awkward angle which won’t be helping. 

8 hours ago, Glyn Harper said:

I’d make sure you change that hex head bolt on the gearbox pushing the gearchange cable for the correct domehead one it’s meant to be.. it’s pushing the cable onto an awkward angle which won’t be helping. 

I'm assuming you are referring to the bilt i circles. I'll check on that. Thanks.

Capture+_2018-10-07-10-35-32.png

Is this the correct bush kit?

http://www.pnmparts.co.uk/lotus-gear-lever-overhaul-kit-4208?search=overhaul

5 hours ago, hspeck said:

I'm assuming you are referring to the bilt i circles. I'll check on that. Thanks.

Capture+_2018-10-07-10-35-32.png

Is this the correct bush kit?

http://www.pnmparts.co.uk/lotus-gear-lever-overhaul-kit-4208?search=overhaul

I suggest you confirm with PNM just to be sure, but it looks correct to me.

On 06/10/2018 at 11:36, hspeck said:

The translator in the correct position now.. The first time he did this the reverse gear became on the right. So i told him to check the movement of the cables and identify the correct cables.

Not it seems to be right, but can only test again aftrr he refit the gear shit unit...

In the mean time i will need to contact SJ or PNM for the bushes...

IMG-20181006-WA0066.jpg

. It looks as though the left cable (as you look down at it) is not in the cable end groove. And the retaining plate is still round the wrong way.