free hit
counters
Double clutching to select 2nd gear - Page 3 - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
hspeck

Double clutching to select 2nd gear

The left cable is correctly positioned, it looks odd because the gaiter is missing the end that sits in the first (rearmost) groove on the cable. The gaiter ought to be replaced.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
21 hours ago, LotuStuart said:

. It looks as though the left cable (as you look down at it) is not in the cable end groove. And the retaining plate is still round the wrong way. 

I'm sorry, but I don't know which is the retaining plate you are referring to. Can you point it out to me?

Tks

17 hours ago, sailorbob said:

The left cable is correctly positioned, it looks odd because the gaiter is missing the end that sits in the first (rearmost) groove on the cable. The gaiter ought to be replaced.

I think the gaiters are NLA items ....

On this note, my workshop managed to replace the rubber bushes with Teflon bushes. He will assemble everything today and test the car again.

Will update when I next hear from him.

IMG-20181008-WA0019_resized.jpg

IMG-20181008-WA0020_resized.jpg

Yes, the original gaiters are NLA but the replacement can be improved upon. Using solid bushes instead of the rubber bushes will worsen the NVH characteristics.

1 hour ago, hspeck said:

I'm sorry, but I don't know which is the retaining plate you are referring to. Can you point it out to me?

Tks

The plate with a single bolt that sits over both cables to keep them engaged in the mounting slots. The parts manual shows it as being fitted 180 degrees to the one you have. I am not sure whether this makes any difference, but you may want to check.

Margate Exotics.

1 hour ago, sailorbob said:

Yes, the original gaiters are NLA but the replacement can be improved upon. Using solid bushes instead of the rubber bushes will worsen the NVH characteristics.

I see,, so I should get the replacement from SJ. I didn't know about the effect of replacing the rubber bushes with Teflon type. I will monitor and see how things go. Tks.

49 minutes ago, Chillidoggy said:

The plate with a single bolt that sits over both cables to keep them engaged in the mounting slots. The parts manual shows it as being fitted 180 degrees to the one you have. I am not sure whether this makes any difference, but you may want to check.

You are referring to the one I circled? I will check. Tks

Capture+_2018-10-09-16-13-22-1_resized.png

1 hour ago, hspeck said:

I see,, so I should get the replacement from SJ. I didn't know about the effect of replacing the rubber bushes with Teflon type. I will monitor and see how things go. Tks.

You are referring to the one I circled? I will check. Tks

Capture+_2018-10-09-16-13-22-1_resized.png

Yes, that's the one. Like I said, it may make no difference, but check anyway.

Margate Exotics.

Id be interested to see an "After" picture of the position of the cables.