free hit
counters
Clicking ? from brakes - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi all, quick question.

I have a clicking sound from the nearside rear quarter.

Only tends to appear after about 10 mins of driving I think and disappears on application of the brakes. Will reappear around a minute later. Brakes feel fine and no strange noise during application.

I have a standard setup, no modifications but did have the engine out earlier in the year and replaced the rear discs (SJs). I'm guessing its got something to do with that but nothing is visibly wrong. Plus, no clicking on turning the rear wheels by hand. I did not change the brake pads (EBC redstuff IIRC) as they had minimal wear.

Oh, and clicking is also there if in neutral. Frequency seems to be per wheel revolution

Thoughts? 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

That would make sense - also something to do with stuff heating up after a while?

Jacjk the car up and turn the wheel it could be the driveshaft i.e one of the cv joints  maybe ? 

Hi Dan, I have done this with no click and there doesnt seem to be any 'play' anywhere but I will look again. I dont think it did this before my engine in/out.

I had something the similar with my +2......and it was basically the pad rattling in the caliper......

I added an extra sound/vibration shim and it solved it.....

it came back with the next set of new pads........so had to re do.........you just need to make sure its tight in the caliper......

if its the same problem that is

Hmm, this is also possible.

The new, thicker discs meant that the anti squeal/rattle shim would not fit. I guess a thinner one might fit..... 

Some weekend tinkering.

I had this with the spring clip that hold the pads in place. Check it's in the right way round and properly secured.

Pete

On this topic (I think) I have the PNM brake conversion and get a light rumble noise when applying the brakes lightly (goes away as soon as I apply more force) - for example if I was coasting and braking lightly before parking the car - I can hear it. Any ideas?

Oh and the rumble is intermittent - so I don't always get it.

Hmm, PNM brake conversion. Tell me more! (PM if you like)

Had a little look this afternoon after washing car and glazing (Blackhole by pourboys - OMG  - I'm hooked on this stuff!!)

Anyway, jacked up and inspected. Drive shafts seem fine and without play.

Moving left rear wheel back and to, one of the braked pads moves a little with it, soft click. Its the one on the piston side. Right side doesnt do this.

I couldnt see that clearly but clip seems to be correct, spring, chocks(dont know what they are actually called.Shoes?)  and wires all where they should be

So, the pad moves back and forth in the direction of disc rotation. Will this be fixed by a shim between pad and piston? Or is it more likely to be spring etc?

I've just done the rear brakes on my 81 turbo and there's a ridge on the back of the pad that needs to sit in a groove of the piston. If yours is the same, maybe this isn't located correctly. 

Sounds like I need to pull the caliper and inspect it properly.

I'll report back.