free hit
counters
35 Years and counting. Life with an S1 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content


35 Years and counting. Life with an S1


Recommended Posts


Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunately I couldn’t make it to the Lotus 70th Anniversary gathering at Hethel today but as it turns out I have an anniversary of my own that falls on the same day. I had always promised myse

and here is my first Lotus, circa 1992. Complete with '007' number plate (original to the car). 

Posted Images

Congratulations Gordon.

6 hours ago, GordonMasson said:

It’s been a rollercoaster ride in more ways than one but I love the car just as much today as when I drove it home for the first time

I think that is true for most of us :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, GordonMasson said:

There couldn’t be many of us who have owned an Esprit for 30+ years …. Perhaps Lotus should set up an Esprit Veterans Club for loyalty to the brand ? 

I'm in - 31 years last June for me :)

I can only see 2 x B&W photos in your post. :( The rest appear as links to nowhere (Firefox) or NSL signs (IE)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Jeanvm said:

Those mirrors are the same age?

About a month after I got the car some lout kicked the mirror off. Those mirrors were standard after market parts in 1983...... and because they are on stalks you can actually see what you have just overtaken on BOTH sides. Still after an original S1 mirror though.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Gordon. I love this story regarding your 35 years of ownership. Congratulations. My first Lotus was a S1 Esprit in 1992. That kick-started an affiliation and admiration for Lotus that continues to this day. S1 has long gone, to Japan for my sins where it was restored and sold to a local rock n' roll star. I bought that car from an advert in Loot for £5K. 3 years of learning and many thrills. And the odd spill. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2019 at 16:06, jep said:

and here is my first Lotus, circa 1992. Complete with '007' number plate (original to the car). 

 

And what happened to it? DVLA says untaxed since 1994.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Gold FFM
12 minutes ago, Paul Coleman said:

And what happened to it? DVLA says untaxed since 1994.

It went to Japan; I thought in about 1995 but maybe 1994. A famous (in Japan) rock'n'roll star bought it, had it restored with similar but not correct brown interior. I'm afraid I sold a few S1 Esprit to Japan in the '90's...………...you would struggle to find a buyer in the UK at £5K for a good running car with MOT. I even had some chassis replacements done with Lotus Cars supplied chassis. From memory, including new chassis and paying to have the work done in North London by a specialist, it cost about £2K plus VAT. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jep said:

It went to Japan; I thought in about 1995 but maybe 1994. A famous (in Japan) rock'n'roll star bought it, had it restored with similar but not correct brown interior. I'm afraid I sold a few S1 Esprit to Japan in the '90's...………...you would struggle to find a buyer in the UK at £5K for a good running car with MOT. I even had some chassis replacements done with Lotus Cars supplied chassis. From memory, including new chassis and paying to have the work done in North London by a specialist, it cost about £2K plus VAT. 

Well at least it lived to fight another day. Must be a very rare car in Japan these days!

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...