free hit
counters
cant engage gears when running. - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Mark Wainwright

cant engage gears when running.

hi all. so i drove my eclat into my garage about a year ago to change a rear brake cylinder.. one year and a full rear suspension rebuild later i cant get any gears to get her out of the garage. typical.

clutch was ok when parked, what is likely to have happened in the time shes been sat that might cause this? the cable is ok and actuating.  ive not checked cable adjustment yet, im hoping its that, but any other thoughts of things to check out appreciated. ta. mark.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I assume you mean it won't go into gear with the engine running, if so it sounds as if the clutch plate has become stuck to the flywheel.

If so you need to start it while in gear & get it out on the road with the clutch pedal on the floor & being brutal on the accelerator & brake pedals it should soon free up. :thumbup:

2 hours ago, jonwat said:

I assume you mean it won't go into gear with the engine running, if so it sounds as if the clutch plate has become stuck to the flywheel.

If so you need to start it while in gear & get it out on the road with the clutch pedal on the floor & being brutal on the accelerator & brake pedals it should soon free up. :thumbup:

ah, cool. I wondered if it could be something like that. yeah, clutch isnt disengaging.  could be interesting getting it out like that with my garage/drive setup.. ill give it a go though :).. if i jam the pedal down and leave it i wonder if itll pop free..

cheers, Mark.

No.

You can free the clutch in the garage - here's how - as advised to me on this forum previously for which I was most grateful.

Jack up the back wheels and prop the car securely off the ground - now you can start it in gear.

Raise the revs, dip the clutch and apply the brake sharply. Now the engine is turning the flywheel and the brakes are trying to stop the clutch plate. It will let go.

Mine does this after a month of damp weather unused. On a positive note it probably means the engine output shafts oil seal isn't leaking.

• Like 1

On 30/09/2018 at 21:50, tom kilner said:

. On a positive note it probably means the engine output shafts oil seal isn't leaking.

thats good, because everything else is. 😂

thanks for the tip, ill give that a try.

mark

Hi Mark , Another way that's always worked for me is to wedge the clutch pedal down with a piece of wood

or if you have someone to sit in car and do it ,engine off, hand brake off, select third gear and push the car a few 

times backwards then forwards ,just jog it a couple of times each way, you will hear it release or it starts to free wheel 

good luck  Ian

• Like 1

thanks for the help guys, i stuck it in reverse and cranked it on the starter, after moving it a few feet it popped off..   

Ta! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I start mine up and engage a few gears every month in the winter keeps the sticky plates at bay. It's hard to get both back wheels off the ground without getting paranoid about bending or breaking something with the jacks and stands - or slipping off the stands with the wheels spinning at high speed and ending up in the neighbour's kitchen.

A friend of mine restored a Spitfire but when finished discovered the clutch was stuck, he decided to release is by revving the engine & then slamming it in reverse. Worked a treat as the car shot backwards releasing the clutch, except he'd forgotten to open the garage doors. :rofl:

• Haha 1

When I had the wheels off the ground (about an inch) - the engine was running in gear and only one wheel was turning - so I grabbed the tyre on the stationary rear  wheel and gave it a twist.

Don't try this at home kids.

I still have all my fingers. If the ground had been a fraction closer I'm not so sure.

This is how I discovered the broken chassis. It was resting on the brake drum.

• Like 1