free hit
counters
New Evora GT4? - Motorsport & Trackdays - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Bravo73

New Evora GT4?

Is there a new version of the Evora GT4 (finally)?

These photos were taken by @Hakim0v at the 70th Anniversary party:

D3702E1F-8F7B-4C1F-83FB-4BE17C553D4C.jpe

60C6A125-D6FF-43AD-9940-3814063F85C6.jpe

The car has obviously got some GT430 elements to it (front bumper, vents above the front wheels etc) but it has also got a GT4 sticker on the side. The fuel intake has also been changed from the road car, along with what look like perspex windows and a roof mounted intake. It has also been ‘caged’ and the wheels look like the Rimstock racing ones.

Does anyone know (or can confirm) more? Or is it just a one-off ‘proof of concept’? (GT4-30)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hum very interesting somebody saw the light and decided to give the GT4 the GT430 look ... Proof of concept or first step toward a program in 2019 maybe.

It is a logical move, the GT430 constitute the only global motorsport platform Lotus can use right now. The car already existed and even though it is getting old it would have been "easy" to upgrade the chassis to the latest spec and update its look to Lotus current offering on the DL.

Now how come this was not announced with tambour and trumpets I don't get, it may be a unofficial project led by a small team of employee with a new boss keen on getting the brand to motorsport this may be enough to force a decision. 

I like how they got the Lotus type 124 race mirrors back nice nod to the first incarnation of this racer, but I thought we would go away from that livery 

Edited by NedaSay

@Bibs could you car to shed any light on this last picture just above, pretty please.

They will have an awful lot to do with this car to speed up to the AMG GT GT4 or Audi R8. Many of my GT4 racing customers changed to the AMG or Audi R8 for the season 2019 already because cars and service are the top package.
Just an Evora GT4 mock up maybe?

It's a showcase of what can be done. It's not a new GT4 but just a facelifted one to show what it would look like with the new bodywork. It's just a case study to gauge interest from visitors to the event. 

That's what @Bibs confirmed, and what I guessed from staring at the thing for a good long while, this car is a GT4 with GT430 look put together as a demonstrator. The question being a demonstrator for who? Were there potential sponsors or racecar buyers in assistance yesterday.

A GT program is a huge lot of stuff to get right but the Evora is the only car that can deliver a competitive and marketable product considering the Exige is not globally homologated.

The AMG GT and the Audi R8 are awesome cars and they come with a massive support system. GT4 is a good fit in the sense that it is less demanding in ressources than GT3 while still being customer racing but when you see the AMG and Audi support trailers at every meeting... they are still putting a lot of support out there and I'm not surprised amateur drivers and teams spending a little fortune on equipment are jumping ship to get higher level of support.

I would think that for Lotus an in house or works project would make more sense, GTE is a effload of cash and for a car supposedly nearing the end of its lifecycle probably not that great a business case. But for the brand it would be easier to manage. Le Mans would offer great coverage and marketability. Now we are still talking of an 8 digit level of investment.

Regardless I hope that little stunt was enough to convince some people both inside and outside the group  to get traction. I'm confident the brand will go back to the motorsport arena and do think GT is the sensible way to go for the short to medium term.  A semi works program (which is not the spirit of GT4 but it has been done before) with the right partners could keep the brand in the minds while the real work goes on behind the curtains.

Bear in mind product wise it may be very quiet in the next 18 months, other than a potential MY update, Lotus may not have much to offer the media and crowds and yet Lotus needs to exist in the public eye a sensible motorsport program could be the solution to that.

Don't worry, the FIA will be watching closely. As soon as Lotus gets near to completing development for a competition launch, the rules will be changed and all efforts will have been in vein :wallbash:

Sound familiar :ninja:

19 minutes ago, tim_marra said:

Don't worry, the FIA will be watching closely. As soon as Lotus gets near to completing development for a competition launch, the rules will be changed and all efforts will have been in vein :wallbash:

Sound familiar :ninja:

Hence a Le Mans/WEC program ran by the ACO with more stable rules - if only slightly - would work better. 

ACO? As in the French? They pissed off Mr Chapman back in the early 60's with last minute rulings to deny him running a Type 23. All down to the number of wheel studs front and rear, Lotus changing them overnight to be the same all round, but to 4 on each wheel, rather than 4 front and 6 rear. The Froggies demanded 6 all round so Mr Chapman vowed never to return and didn't.

Not that I would hold a grudge or anything :innocent:

And yet Lotus came back with the Esprit in the 90s and then the Elise GT1 if i recall and in 2012 the Evora GTE...

We'll never know will we. He was a very persistent man, he would have cursed and trashtalked them a great deal before eventually going back to the drawing board to find the next  "within the rules" solution...

4 hours ago, Bibs said:

It's a showcase of what can be done. It's not a new GT4 but just a facelifted one to show what it would look like with the new bodywork. It's just a case study to gauge interest from visitors to the event. 

Thank you for clarifying. Can you tell the higher ups that at least one fan and "'aspirational lotus someday owner" would be all about this project... 

• Like 1

We totally forgot to update this thread. So here goes : New 2nd Gen Evora GT4 Concept presented during the Shanghai Autoshow 2019. Placed under the stewardship of Gavan Kershaw, the car will at first serve as a bit of a showcase for the new LDA China in the hands of Lotus appointed drivers Cui Yue and  Gaoxiang Fan

2019-lotus-evora-gt4-concept-is-made-in-

The car is fitted with Pirelli P-Zero Corsa, which leads me to think that it could very well join one of the SRO GT4 badged championship in 2020. It is reported to be powered by a 3.5L V6 generating 444bhp , no information on whether or not the engine is supercharged. the 444bhp is not to far appart from the numbers garnered by the GR-FE GLB developed by Cosworth for the 1st gen GT4 Enduro spec, but that engine was a bored out 4L naturally aspirated V6. The new engine is also reported to churn out 510 nm 

image.thumb.png.ec7ed6a13c6a4b782e37d764e469ddc2.png

The car received the GT430 look upgrades on the body and the 3-Eleven Motec dash alongside an updated steering wheel also sourced from Motec and OMP (not Sparco!?) bucket seat.  

2019-lotus-evora-gt4-concept-is-made-in-

Hopefully what follows is an FIA homologation process this spring and summer prior to a semi works or private program with factory support in Asia and possibly the North America and Europe in 2020. 

At the moment of the Shanghai Autoshow, there's been no word on price or on the Motorsport Department being recommissioned, but in order to be successful a GT4 needs to be provided with factory support so lets hope that one entity is created soon to cater for these needs.

Edited by NedaSay
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, NedaSay said:

It is reported to be powered by a 3.5L V6 generating 444bhp , no information on whether or not the engine is supercharged.

There is: “3.5-litre V6, 24-valve, water-cooled, all aluminium, charge-cooled engine with Harrop supercharger and dry sump system”

From https://www.thelotusforums.com/latest-news/lotus-cars-news/lotus-races-into-china-with-british-built-evora-gt4-concept/

What is interesting is that it is listed as a Harrop supercharger. (The current 4xx cars use a Edelbrook supercharger). So the Harrop reference is either a) a typo or b) the larger, TVS1900 SC?

This image is also worth posting (again): spacer.png

• Like 1

Thanks Jonny. Possibly it is a supercharger that has larger volumetric capacity and will comply with FIA GT4 regulations more easily. No picture of the engine bay was provided we don't even know if it is the Toyota GR-FE or something else?

I was just have a look at the article about the new Evora GT4. It seems to use an Evora S1 high sided chassis, though I might be wrong, which would infer that the old chassis might be a bit stiffer than the new 400 series 'easy entry' chassis. The article says that the car has been developed at Hethel, but I thought that Lotus motorsport division had been closed down under the JMG management, is it being resuscitated?, I can only hope so. GT4 racing has to be a good move from a marketing point of view, it is now becoming much more popular with a good number of manufacturers taking part, and hopefully now, with a bit more money available, Lotus cars will start to do a bit more motor sport to put their name infront of the public again.  Its been a very long time since Lotus were a regular presence in international racing, it would be good to see them back again. 

I expect it's just an old S1 GT4 chassis with new front and rear bodywork and an update underneath. That was the impression I got when I saw it at Lotus 70. There used to be one or two parked outside the Motorsport building. In which case, yes, it would have been developed by Lotus Motorsport.... several years ago!

Edited by LotusLeftLotusRight

I guess that if they do go back to GT racing,  a new itineration of Motorsport  would have to be set up by the factory.   

Don't forget that Geely are already heavily involved in motorsports via Cyan Racing and WTCC. (Cyan also campaigned an older Evora GT4 last year in Sweden). Any future Lotus involvement might not necessarily directly include Hethel.

I think that Geely is actually quite pragmatic and strategic about their motorsport decision. Geely Group Motorsport is the umbrella company for all motor racing activities of almost all the Geely brands but some programs are ran outside of it for now, like the Geely Cup in China.

Lotus being Lotus will probably retain its motorsport program in house. It make sens if only for the sake of theatre to have a hall dedicated to building motorsport cars. Besides with the skeleton building soon to be completed and fitted to build the next generation of cars, which will share platform heavily the old production hall is likely going to be repurposed to some extent, in adition to receiving the new museum outgrowth, having the office of the boss "sceneryzed" a small but functional motorsport hall could easily set up, it's not like the old one was a massive F1 factory.

Yes, Cyan racing GGM track arm did run the Evora GT4 last year in Swedish GT but this was really a program put together to keep some of the crew from an unwanted gap year + a bit of good PR with a swedish prince driving the car.

As for the GT4 concept, it is supposed to have been developed by Gavan Kershaw himself,  GK is the new chassis guru at Lotus and he now heads vehicles dynamic attributes but before that he was head of motorsport before the division was mothballed... The team that did develop the GT4 concept was probably a bunch of week end warriors who pitched the car at some point and Geely and Popham decided to go with it... it is a refresh on a recipe that is true and tested and with an engine that has the oomph it needs to compete on any tracks while the previous GT4 was too much of a momentum car which ran out of go when the straights were too long.

• Like 1