free hit
counters
Tailgate Lotus elite - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SimonOmeara

Tailgate Lotus elite

Hi ,

Does anyone know if it's best to fit the hinges to the tailgate then fit to the car.

Or as the manual says fit the hinges etc to the car first then fit glass to the hinges?

If anyone has any experience please let me know as I am about to fit mine and can't decide.

Cheers

Simon

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm about to remove mine and it will be a lot easier to remove the hinges if the glass has been removed.

Be careful with the hinges - they are handed, although look virtually identical. I have fit problems with my tailgate possibly due to the hinges being on the wrong way round! Or I may have two of the same type 😒

Richard

They are marked L and R Richard.

I found fitting hinges first OK, but need 2 people to help with window, a bit awkward otherwise.

3 hours ago, Clive59 said:

They are marked L and R Richard.

I found fitting hinges first OK, but need 2 people to help with window, a bit awkward otherwise.

I'm glad they are marked! Thanks for that.

Richard

Simon,

Did mine a few months ago, fit to car first then window, you need a second pair of hands to hold it while you fit it, put gas struts on last. good luck with it. Out of interest did you have short rubber tubes over the studs when you took them off. They butt up to the rubber gasket that sits under the hinge.

Best regards, John

I fitted hinges to the window then the assembly to the car. Didn't have too much of a problem this way.