free hit
counters
Rear Camera Not Working - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi

I have a Launch Edition Evora fitted with the Alpine INE W925R and I think it should have a reversing camera, however when I put it in reverse nothing happens on the screen. What I mean by that is that whatever is on the screen just remains there, not even a flicker or a change to a blank screen. I can see the camera in the bumper and what I think is the wiring running around the boot. Its almost as if it is not connected though.

The parking sensors work fine.

Any ideas of what to check for please?

Thanks, Robin.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

There have been a few reports of the camera not working after a few years but the radio unit should at least change to the rear camera input and just display a blank screen.

Check the settings on the radio unit to see if the rear camera input is enabled?  If thats all good and the unit is not switching to the camera input then I guess the radio is not receiving the reverse signal.  I would pull the radio unit out and get a multi meter on the reverse signal input and check that is active.  I don't have a wiring diagram for the radio but if you search there are definitely old posts where people have labeled the input pins to the radio.

When I had the headunit in mine upgraded from the original Alpine 505 to the newer 920 model, the camera also had to be replaced as the original one was incompatible with the new unit. 

I can't remember the exact details but I seem to remember mention being made that they had different operating voltages and that some wiring changes were also needed to get everything to work.

Just a thought - are your reversing lights working okay? That circuit is used to power up the camera and control unit...

When I bought my LE, the camera wasn’t working but the screen would change to black when reverse was selected. It was the camera that had failed and everything from the control unit to the HU was okay, so I’m with Jairaj on this one. It sounds like it could be a setup or plug problem To me.

I don't think the 925R is the original launch edition HU so someone has upgraded it at some time. It may not have been connected properly.

You can test the camera manually without having to have the reversing feed connected.  Check your manual for camera set up, instructions are there. 

Thanks for your replies.

Paul, you were spot on    "I don't think the 925R is the original launch edition HU so someone has upgraded it at some time. It may not have been connected properly."

I have had chance to look at it this afternoon and, yes it looks like a retro fit and for whatever reason they could not/did not fit the reversing camera. I want to get it working so this leaves me a few questions I hope you can point me in the right direction with.

Firstly, is there a wiring diagram somewhere, so I can identify whats supposed to go where?

What do the camera connectors look like? is it these?, they were not connected to anything.

DSCF4547.thumb.JPG.84ceeb40a91e3e77a52079407738e6ac.JPG

Whatever connection I need to make will have to connect up with the socket below - can anybody recommend a good place for adapters please?

DSCF4540.thumb.JPG.f9772ef19a119391f717659aeb3924fd.JPG

Does anybody know what this red plug is for? it was not connected to anything?

DSCF4561.thumb.JPG.92a63192b32084f298be1ae1d93af796.JPG

I also had these 2 loose cables that were not connected to anything! Are they part of the Lotus loom? - One of them has a sleeve on it that says "camera in"

DSCF4557.thumb.JPG.abd83b73d5b7cda2cc06484d6c3e3f0c.JPG

Sorry for all the questions - it looks like spaghetti behind the head unit !!

It looks like one is the mic for the hands free, one is a DAB antenna connector, and possibly, the final one is the Alpine imprint plug. Not sure about the last one though.

You'd need to check with the seller that this is camera in and not just camera out, but

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-Ine-W925r-Ine-W920vw-Rear-Camera-Harness-Lead-Wiring-Loom/153002404501?hash=item239fa76a95:g:uegAAOSwqMRa5gIm

Re the Lotus side wiring diagram there should be something in the service notes, found on line.

The following link may help with matching up the wires ... ? 

• Like 1

just looked up the Lotus Evora S circuit diag. Apparently fuse 18 supplies a g and n coloured wire to the hu from the reverse gear switch. I assume g and n are green and brown. 

Thanks for all your help. I will look into this again at the weekend and let you know how I get on.

These forums are great 😊

Following on from my earlier post, I think the red phono is one of the sub connector cables.  It looks like the 2 loose cables are the ones from the original HU (I have the same ones in a box from when I changed mine) and I think you have a couple of plugs missing.  If you have a look at https://www.alpine.co.uk/fileadmin/user_upload/manuals//car_audio_manuals/INE-W925R/QRG_INE-W925R_EN.pdf page 14, hopefully it will help.

I changed my HU to a Kenwood and so I had to graft the old Lotus loom link cable to the one for the new unit but I assume you have the link cable and just need the additional plugs. As Paul said above, you seem to be able to get these on eBay at the moment.

• Like 1