free hit
counters
Crap Gear Shift! - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

The gear shift on my V6 is becoming a problem on track. I already have updated SSC cables. I replace fluids with Motul every 3-4 track days. 

What have folks done that has actually worked and made a differance?

Equally anyone installed the inokinetic shifter to a V6 or updated engine mounts and can provide real feedback?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have a read of this thread on the playground. Make of it what you will. What you are interested in is at the bottom(ish)of the thread.

https://forums.the playground.org/viewthread.php?tid=453912

cheers

• Thanks 1

Have you fitted a gearbox oil cooler yet ?  If the change is OK when car is not hot, then that could be your fix and also extend life of the box 

12 hours ago, Mark030358 said:

Have a read of this thread on the playground. Make of it what you will. What you are interested in is at the bottom(ish)of the thread.

https://forums.the playground.org/viewthread.php?tid=453912

cheers

Seems to suggest changing selector forks as one area but that appears to pretty much mean full gearbox rebuild :(

Looks like gearbox oil cooler is needed as a minimum. Unsure which one to get Komotec or H111 both seem to locate the cooler in different areas of the car. Anyone got any recommendations on which is better?

Hoffmans also do a cooler too  - different to the Komo-tec one. Trouble is, because we don't have a gearbox temp sensor we have no idea if the box was getting too hot, or how effective the cooler actually is.

Could you put some of those one shot thermal stickers on the gearbox casing to give an indication of max temp reached?

If you already have SSC gear cables you could go for innovate mounts to reduce engine and gearbox movement and for synchros use redline mt90 (or  maybe even mtl if used only on street at lower temperatures)

I have the 380 open gear linkage but if yohave to older shifter there are a few things to make it better that you can do on the exige s2 that could maybe be the same on the v6 but for that you would have to search the forums.

Oil cooler is also a good thing

Purge your clutch master cylinder and make sure your clutch is still ok

Other than that your synchros or other gearbox parts could be worn out and need replacement

On 09/10/2018 at 08:06, 21gg said:

Could you put some of those one shot thermal stickers on the gearbox casing to give an indication of max temp reached?

I tried that, but the readings seemed very high. Could be heat from engine/manifolds. Maybe I'll look at trying to stick them in better positions.

On 05/10/2018 at 20:27, alias23 said:

The gear shift on my V6 is becoming a problem on track. I already have updated SSC cables. I replace fluids with Motul every 3-4 track days. 

What have folks done that has actually worked and made a differance?

Equally anyone installed the inokinetic shifter to a V6 or updated engine mounts and can provide real feedback?

Thanks

Only one sensible solution... sequential gearbox 🤗

On 12/10/2018 at 17:21, RedViper said:

Only one sensible solution... sequential gearbox 🤗

Joking aside, I heard Komo-Tec were working on adapting a VW Group double clutch gearbox (from the RS3?) to fit the V6 in the Lotus.... dont know if this is true?