free hit
counters
Fitting a 400 exhaust to a S model - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
bloooh

Fitting a 400 exhaust to a S model

Recommended Posts

Hi folks !

First of all, apologies if this has been covered already. My forum search didn’t provide me with a clear answer 🤗

As a happy 2015 Evora S owner, I enjoy the throatiness of the OEM exhaust. That said, I would love to have something a bit louder and I think the 400 exhaust would be the perfect call for me.

Has anyone here fitted a 400 exhaust to a S model? Is the 400 catback a simple “plug & play”  modification or would I need to change other components because of diameter issues?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome, blooh. :welcome:

Although lots of people have probably thought about it, I’m not sure if anybody has actually done it. 

When you say ‘cat back’, do you mean from the ‘headers back’ or just the silencer (from where the 3rd cat used to be)?

The Toyota headers (with integrated cats) are the same for all of the V6 cars. So, in principle, you could theoretically change the entire system - y-pipe, cat delete/s-pipe and silencer. However, I don’t think that it is as ‘plug and play’ as that because ISTR that the position of the hangers was changed on the 4X0 cars. 

@JAWS is convinced that there is another option. However, this involves an exhaust specialist widen one of the pipes and/or flanges so it’s definitely not ‘plug and play’. 

Also, if you were to fit a 400 exhaust to an S, you wouldn’t necessarily get the same sound out of it. The S doesn’t push the same volume of air through the system as the 400. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd search for a Lotus Sports silencer instead if you don't have one. Great sound and easy to fit (plus probably no more expensive than sourcing a 400 system).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also consider 2bular (and other) alternatives. Not sure they are any dearer than an oem 400 cat-back would be?

2bular cat-back fitted to my mates Exige v6 - same design is used on the Evora. More gurgle. More bass. More volume.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all your replies! Yes, I was talking about changing the silencer only.

I am looking to replace the part N° "1C" :

685337d1459198875-evora-400-vs-evora-s-h

By the part N° "1" :

685345d1459198897-evora-400-vs-evora-s-h

My main question is on the diameter of the link pipe (part 2b of 1st chart VS part 3 of second chart).

Reading this post on the US forum left me unclear.

I've also checked around 2Bular. Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to listen to it IRL. If there's no realistic way to fit the 400 Exhaust I may go that path.

But I would really love to solve that 400 compatibility question anyway 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, bloooh said:

Yes, I was talking about changing the silencer only.

In that case, no, it’s not ‘plug and play’. The 2 types of exhaust aren’t compatible. 

Your only option would be the @JAWS option. 

Anyway, seeing as you’re new around here, why not drop by the ‘Introductions’ section and say ‘hello’ properly?

https://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/forum/15-introductions/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bloooh said:

I've also checked around 2Bular. Unfortunately I didn't have the chance to listen to it IRL. If there's no realistic way to fit the 400 Exhaust I may go that path.

But I would really love to solve that 400 compatibility question anyway 😁

I had a listen to @j141 ‘s 2Bular and have to say I don’t see why you would want to go to the hassle of looking into the 400 silencer option when the solution is ready made.

IMO the 2Bular sounded better than a 400 with the valve open but was still refined with it closed

Hopefully  @j141 and others who have the 2Bular will be along soon to add their comments

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again for your replies. I introduced myself properly in the dedicated section :)

Well, I would love to hear that 2bular in person. I'll try to find an owner in a local meet. I believe youtube videos don't do it justice, because I feel it has a more "metallic" tone compared to 400 or even S stock exhaust.

I'm really looking for something deep, that would burble and keep that lovely guttural sound of our V6. But if you all confirm that 2bular has it, yes the hassle of fitting a 400 silencer may not be worth it.

@Bravo73 would you be kind enough to direct me to this Jaws option on the forum? Can't find it whithin his numerous posts. Thanks!

Edited by bloooh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bloooh said:

Thanks again for your replies. I introduced myself properly in the dedicated section :)

Well, I would love to hear that 2bular in person. I believe youtube videos don't do it justice, because I feel it has a more "metallic" tone compared to 400 or even S stock exhaust.

I'm really looking for something deep, that would burble and keep that lovely guttural sound of our V6

I have a Larini which I prefer because of the deeper sound and a nice pop on the overun. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, bloooh said:

@Bravo73 would you be kind enough to direct me to this Jaws option on the forum? Can't find it whithin his numerous posts. Thanks!

@JAWS might be along in a bit to explain it himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/10/2018 at 15:37, PaulCP said:

I had a listen to @j141 ‘s 2Bular and have to say I don’t see why you would want to go to the hassle of looking into the 400 silencer option when the solution is ready made.

IMO the 2Bular sounded better than a 400 with the valve open but was still refined with it closed

Hopefully  @j141 and others who have the 2Bular will be along soon to add their comments

As Paul says its not worth the expense of the 400 exhaust the 2bular sounds just as good if not better than the 400, I made a point of listening to the 2bular, 400, larnini etc and IMHO the 2bular sounded the best by far, it burbles and pops nicely but it is also very civil in non sports mode for longer trips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having read various things across the web, looks like a diameter adapter is required to fit the 400 silencer. I decided to follow the global consensus and went for a 2bular valved exhaust. Apparently there are some currently in stock, I’m looking forward giving it a try 😍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bloooh said:

Having read various things across the web, looks like a diameter adapter is required to fit the 400 silencer. I decided to follow the global consensus and went for a 2bular valved exhaust. Apparently there are some currently in stock, I’m looking forward giving it a try 😍

 

I dont think you will be disappointed, let us know how you get on 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/10/2018 at 20:29, bloooh said:

Hi folks !

First of all, apologies if this has been covered already. My forum search didn’t provide me with a clear answer 🤗

As a happy 2015 Evora S owner, I enjoy the throatiness of the OEM exhaust. That said, I would love to have something a bit louder and I think the 400 exhaust would be the perfect call for me.

Has anyone here fitted a 400 exhaust to a S model? Is the 400 catback a simple “plug & play”  modification or would I need to change other components because of diameter issues?

Thanks in advance for your help!

The 400 silencer will fit your S and certainly sound better than the 2bular, but will need a little work. You can go the full hog and change the downpipe and mid section plus silencer and it will fit. From memory there may be some fettling to the subframe required.

A simpler option would be to widen/adapt your existing decat/midpipe so that you're flaring it to meet the 3"opening of the 400 Silencer. All the hangers and valve connectors etc should match your existing set up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JAWS said:

The 400 silencer will fit your S and certainly sound better than the 2bular, but will need a little work. You can go the full hog and change the downpipe and mid section plus silencer and it will fit. From memory there may be some fettling to the subframe required.

Thanks for the detailled procedure. While I was ready for some work, changing the whole line was not really an option as I need to secure some budget for other modifications

5 hours ago, JAWS said:

A simpler option would be to widen/adapt your existing decat/midpipe so that you're flaring it to meet the 3"opening of the 400 Silencer. All the hangers and valve connectors etc should match your existing set up.  

That would have been the path 👍

The 2bular being on its way , I hope I won't be disapointed. Anyhow I prefer its looks and I suppose it is way cheaper that the 400 box sourced from Lotus

Let's wait & see (hear)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that was quick, a lot of us had to wait months for ours!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, j141 said:

Wow that was quick, a lot of us had to wait months for ours!

I know, I asked Jim before order and the immediate availability was also part of the decision making :)

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally got the 2Bular installed! The fit was perfect and the workshop told me they usually have bigger trouble mounting silencers on mass produced vehicles.

In one word, it sounds INSANE! I knew youtube videos don’t do it justice but I couldn’t guess it would make such a difference. The 2bular sounds deep,  burbles, pops, and screams at higher rpm. I simply love it. Can’t imagine being more satisfied with any other exhaust.

I have notice one small hassle. When I push the “sport” button; I can clearly hear the valve activate at idle. But once I start to accelerate it seems to close between 1’000 to 2’000 rpm before opening again at higher revs. I wonder if this is just the normal ECU command?

Anyway this is THE must have mod, and I thank you all for having me opt for the 2Bular way

Edited by bloooh
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you love it, it is the best option in my opinion.

Not sure about the valve issue though, mine doesn't do that, possibly a faulty valve, I would speak to 2bular.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done 😎

On sports mode my valve opens at idle, but closes as soon as you start moving. Opens again at about 2350rpm.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, j141 said:

Glad you love it, it is the best option in my opinion.

Not sure about the valve issue though, mine doesn't do that, possibly a faulty valve, I would speak to 2bular.

 

Indeed, sounds so much better than on videos. I noticed the "head turning" phenomena now happens a quarter mile away 🤣

Edited by bloooh
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×