free hit
counters
Clutch bearing - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Had new clutch/bearing etc, replaced a few years ago but at tickckover the bearing makes a grating noise as it slightly touches the fingers on the pressure plate. If I press the clutch pedal very gently, the noise stops as the bearing is pulled back a tad. Is it possible/safe to put a spring on the slave cylinder to pull the arm back?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You 'press' the pedal lightly? That will push the bearing forward the fingers. Not away.

There should be no hassle with adding a spring. You need to make sure that it can handle the full travel of the clutch arm so that it doesn't overstretch. It might increase the pressure you need to exert on the pedal as well. 

Yeah, resting foot lightly on pedal, not pushing it down at all, and the noise stops. Clutch works/feels fine, just bloody annoying noise when ticking over, seems worse when engine cold for some reason. Never had this happen on any other car, dunno why happens on the Esprit..

I have the same on my Stevens. I was thinking of pulling the box just to change the bearing. Pain in the ass to listen to... 

..but it's not a worn bearing, mine is almost new, something to do with grease (or lack of it) on the fingers of pressure plate...or something..

..so putting a spring on end of 018 to 006 should pull bearing 015 off pressure plate fingers 010..<_< 

013.jpg

Uhmm....  If you put a spring on to retract the thrust bearing off the pressure cover then you will have a soft spot on the top of your clutch peddle when you take up the slack . You will also generate less travel in the disengagement and may introduce clutch drag...   It mat be better to do it correct and whip it out and fit new..  While at it check the pressure cover springs to see if they are uniform .  I have known some go soft and cause an uneven surface which in turn causes the bearing to chatter at low rpm. This is more common with after market clutches...  

• Like 1

I dont know about the turbo esprit, but S1, S2 and S2.2 have a spring:

Part 7 spring, between part 10 (attached to part 5 clutchfork) and the bellhousing ( see picture below) 

QA.gif

image.png.8fa31382120139d20a492eb95caea3d2.png

Yeah,  if only it was as easy as whipping it out! GST done all the work before, so best I have words.. 

3 minutes ago, gvy said:

Part 7 spring, between part 10 (attached to part 5 clutchfork) and the bellhousing ( see picture below) 

QA.gif

Hey Geert, thats what mean! Strange that the S3 turbo doesn't appear to have the spring.. makes sense to have one.

Indeed strange?

Did you regulate play with part 023 and  024 in your picture? I had this noise in the past, but it could be regulated with setting the correct play.

On my S2.2 that is part9

Edited by gvy

24 minutes ago, gvy said:

Indeed strange?

Did you regulate play with part 023 and  024 in your picture? I had this noise in the past, but it could be regulated with setting the correct play.

On my S2.2 that is part9

No ' I haven't adjusted anything yet as I assumed that GST would have done this already, but think you are right Geert, reckon it's worth a go!

6 minutes ago, gvy said:

QA.gif

Hey Geert, thats what mean! Strange that the S3 turbo doesn't appear to have the spring.. makes sense to have one.