free hit
counters
Gearbox oil change - how many litres - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
pkn

Gearbox oil change - how many litres

Going to change the gearbox oil this week. How many litres does the box take? Did have a search but couldn't see any details. 

Many thanks! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think that the actual total capacity is approx 2.2L. When I changed mine a few weeks ago I bought 3 american quart bottles (0.946L) of Redline MTL Fully Synth 75W80 GL4 gear oil, which works out at about 2.8L in total and I had about 0.5L left. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Many thanks guys, very helpful. I've read good reports about the Redline MTL oil so will be going to that as well. 👍

No probs.

The Redline MTF noticeably improves the shift speed, particularly when cold, but the I find that you still need to be mechanically sympathetic with the change. I haven’t found it to be the ultimate in improvement that others have but it might be down to my early car’s box (260th built).

Definitely worth doing though, along with lubrication of the selector cables using my patented sandwich bag method to increase stick feel!

• Like 1

Hi Steve, can you share details of your patented sandwich bag method please?

Just had mine done with Millers TRX Nanotech 75W-80. About 2.5 L needed. Slight improvement, not a revelation. Synchro does work significantly better going into 2nd when cold, at least.